Nickel or chromium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We often hear that regulators (most of mine anyway) are "chrome plated brass" However, due to flaking this does not seem to be a good choice of coatings. Are the coatings actually nickel plating rather than chrome and we just use the term "chrome plated" to describe it?

If one wanted to restore some of the missing chrome, would the brush on type kits available on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Caswell-Plating be an acceptable method? How about cadium plating, I know that you can not get cadium plating to shine like chrome or nickel, but is there a reason it could not be used as a protective coating on a regulator?

Thank you,

couv?

couv:
We often hear that regulators (most of mine anyway) are "chrome plated brass" However, due to flaking this does not seem to be a good choice of coatings. Are the coatings actually nickel plating rather than chrome and we just use the term "chrome plated" to describe it?

If one wanted to restore some of the missing chrome, would the brush on type kits available on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/Caswell-Plating be an acceptable method? How about cadium plating, I know that you can not get cadmium plating to shine like chrome or nickel, but is there a reason it could not be used as a protective coating on a regulator?

Thank you,

couv?
It is common to call any white metal "chrome", but it is also common to plate nickel on first and then the chrome.

Most of what I have seen is chrome, but don't know that everyone is doing that.

You use cadmium, and it would work... but finding someone to put this very toxic metal on anything has become very difficult.

As was stated, most chrome plate is first plated with nickel as the base plate. This is why getting anything re-chrome plated is so expensive, first you have to strip down to base metal, then buff out blemishes, clean, eletro clean, nickel plate, chrome plate, buff out. Lots of hand labor.

Cadmium plate has a silver look which is soft and doesn't wear well. Most cad is also post plated with a chrome conversion coating that gives it a golden look. If you look at your car engine there should be a few bolts and nuts around with this color.

Environmentaly, chrome is better then cad. And matalic chrome has no effect on the environment it is chrome chemical compounds you need to worry about such as chromic acid (CrO3) and such.

You ever see the EPA running down the street after a Harley?

If your chrome is flaking it's probably a junk regulator anyway so you'd be off dumping it and buying something decent.
I've never seen flaking chrome on a well made brass base.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom