Night Dives in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thin hooded vest over 4th element top works for me. The hood keeps in a lot of heat.

Many ops in Cozumel will allow one to use gloves, but you will be watched very closely in the water…no touchy!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Is Aldora one of them? We're experienced DMs, so we know how to keep our hands off :)

Bring a 3mm suit or no? I don't really get cold and I dive in shorts/rash guard shirts 90% of the time. I'd rather not pack a suit unless I have to.

I'm generally in your situation re: not getting cold, but last time I was in Cozumel I wore a 3mm shorty for a little extra warmth. I did one night dive and got a nasty sting across the back of both legs as I was surfacing. Fanning water through some kind of suit that covers as much skin as possible is a small price to pay for avoiding painful stings. That was no fun at all.

Is Aldora one of them? We're experienced DMs, so we know how to keep our hands off :)

All I can say is that Aldora evaluates every situation and uses common sense.

Call if you want 830 460-0667 (yes I know that's a hill county number but I'm not a complete hillbilly)

BTW, having a long history of diving Cozumel, I really think that among the best investments a diver can make is a full Lavacore skin (used to be called "polar tech"). It provides 2 mil thermal protection as well as contact issues. If you need more, a wetsuit will just slide over it with ease, and many dry suit divers use them as well. I don't sell them but they are one of the few dive equipment items I wholeheartedly endorse, the other is Oceanic Shadow mask.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I would bring a light wet suit, 3MM or less. I get up close and personnel hunting Pez leon and want the rash guard protection if nothing else. Early November the water temps can range to a peak around 85 F at the beginning of the month and you are drift diving. While everyone is careful of the reef they may get blown thru a patch offe feathered hydroid or have to surface thru an acre of small jelly fish. The basic rash gaurd protection will be appreciated.
For coming out of warm water into cooler air or a wind I find that the AA first class blankets work as a great wrap and cut the wind plus they stow very well in a dry bag. I will be on the island for the first half of November and will be most likely be on any Twilight dive that 3P runs. If you go out on twilight dive with them and are on the boat and need a blanket afterwards I have lots of extras and will give you one.
Thanks. I will definitely be doing a couple of night dives with 3P. I think I'm just gonna bring my 1mm skin and 3mm shorty.

Many ops in Cozumel will allow one to use gloves, but you will be watched very closely in the water…no touchy!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Hola Dave. Was there not a meeting approximately four weeks ago that said there was going to be a crackdown on enforcing the marine park rules? Specifically targeting the use of pointer sticks, gloves and knives as well as advocating that dive masters report on other ops that they see in violation of these rules? I believe that Christi was present at that meeting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom