Night diving experiences...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloves and knives are not allowed in the Cozumel Marine Park. Whether or not that's enforced is up to the individual dive op. I know mine does.

Since fishing is also not allowed, there is no real reason to carry a line cutter. I've been diving in Cozumel for many years and never once seen any fishing line.

-Charles

Since fishing is also not allowed, there is no real reason to carry a line cutter. I've been diving in Cozumel for many years and never once seen any fishing line.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if that just within the marine park, or is hook-and-line fishing restricted over a larger area around the island?

One thing to remember when you go on your night dive is not to shine the light in anybodys face. I would also suggest a light with a narrow penetrating beam that can be used for signalling - all I take are two UK SL6 lights when I go. Cheap and they work like a charm.

My buddy had a halcyon 18 watt HID light that was nice also for getting a broader view.

All of my night diving have been in low viz Texas lakes. I've had friends say that in Coz and Bonaire they don't even use their primary light . . .too bright. Another friend was in Coz at 60ft, rolled over on her back to get a clear view of a full moon. Awesome, just awesome.

Night diving offers a very intimate sense of place, I love them! You can expect some different critters. A lot of small life will be attracted to your light for observation.

At the same time there are some fundamentals of night diving that you should at least read up on. You should also be fairly comfortable with your daytime skills. Wielding a light and doing all the rest by feel represents significant task loading. Be sure to start with a conservative night dive. Not everyone cares for it but it seems like most do.

Pete

Night dive in Cozumel revealed lots of octopus, large crabs, large lobsters, and a banded eel that looked like a coral snake. One of the dive master candidate insisted that it was a coral snake, but I've got a picture to prove it wasn't. Night dive in Cancun before Wilma I remembered just large numbers of huge sleeping parrot fishes... We did a shore night dive in Cozumel and saw some juvenile jacknife fish and other strange creatures that I could not identify.

Here's what I've learned about night diving.

1. While not impossible, it's infinitely better to have your skills down, be comfortable in the water, etc, than to rush into night diving before you're ready.

1. Don't worry about light, being able to see, etc. Just relax and get all zen-like and enjoy the moment. What happens if your light goes out? OMG!!! Well, what happens is, your eyes adjust after about a minute and you find yourself in the most magical universe in the world! If you think diving is cool, diving at night with no lights is way cool.

1. Your chances of being injured by a shark are so small as to be insignificant. However, the mental energy you waste worrying about that can actually harm you.

1. Even though you can do without them (see 1. above), it's always good to have a main, a backup, and a marker light.

Good luck! And let us know how it turns out!

I am a new diver, but about a 3rd of my dives have been at night, and I am hooked! Due to the jellies on one trip, actually my first night dive, we were told not to turn our lights on while we began our descent, which was a little scary for me. I don't know if the same thing will happen to you, but if that is the case, try to be one of the last to enter the water, everyone below you will already have their lights on . . .

My fiancee and I booked our dives (with:Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico I've heard they're awesome!) and we also booked a night dive for when we go to Cozumel. A few close buddies of ours said just to do it, they wouldn't tell us why, just that we should do one. Is it that spectacular that you just have to see for yourself? It's driving me nuts, it's kind of scary. It's so stupid, just like someone won't tell me EXACTLY what's in the 'Tree of Life' @ Disney World, that you just have to see it for yourself. Although for adrenaline's sake it's pretty exciting not to know, but I am losing sleep so pleeeease give me at least a hint......

'Tanks':rofl3:
Aubrey :wink:

Think monsters, bears, & tigers........on 2nd thought, don't think about them.....:)

I find night diving very thrilling as you are in complete darkness w/ the exception where you are shining your light. The unknown and the mystery of not being able to tell or know whats around you adds another level of adventure to the dive. Yes we all know you are just as safe as during the day but you still get that feeling in the pit of your stomach due to the uncertainty. Also the creatures are so cool as already mentioned. Some fish are sleeping and lobsters are usually out walking around. See lots of squid too! Good diving to you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom