Night time video question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jzipfel

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be diving with Jacks in Hawaii for the night time pelagic. I've watched tons of videos but what I can't figure out is what lens (es) I should use.

i Have. Panasonic GX8 with 2 3K lumen wide angle video lights. The creatures are between 1 -8 inches. Mostly translucent.

i have the 14-42 lens in the short port so I can use the entire range. I also have the new Nautican Wet wide angle lens which can also take advantage of the entire range of the 14-42 lens.

talking with folks the do stills for this dive a 60 or 90mm macro seems to be preferred. My understanding is video folks use a wide angle lens.

so which should I use?? The 14-42 alone or put on the wide angle. if nothing else I can try both but would love to start with the set up that gives me the best chance.

thanks in advance for any help.

I will be diving with Jacks in Hawaii for the night time pelagic. I've watched tons of videos but what I can't figure out is what lens (es) I should use.

i Have. Panasonic GX8 with 2 3K lumen wide angle video lights. The creatures are between 1 -8 inches. Mostly translucent.

i have the 14-42 lens in the short port so I can use the entire range. I also have the new Nautican Wet wide angle lens which can also take advantage of the entire range of the 14-42 lens.

talking with folks the do stills for this dive a 60 or 90mm macro seems to be preferred. My understanding is video folks use a wide angle lens.

so which should I use?? The 14-42 alone or put on the wide angle. if nothing else I can try both but would love to start with the set up that gives me the best chance.

thanks in advance for any help.

If i've understood your question, what lens you use would come down to what kind of shots you're looking to get.

It's true that video guys often use wide angles under water but there's a reason for that. Wide angle video can capture the feeling of being underwater better with getting lots of coral or schools of fish all into the shot. Also wide angle makes the little movements of the camera not seem as noticeable. Now that being said I don't have experience with your particular subjects but it seems like i'd go for something tighter because they sounds pretty small. Be careful with a macro lens though because you might find it really hard to keep the subject in the plane of focus if you're really close to it. If you stay back a bit (as yo often have to do with sea creatures) you'll probably be ok. Well that's just my thought, I'd got for the tighter lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom