Nightly F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I am sorely disappointed...that you didn't get beaten enough. My fundies was done with 15 dives. I think that you will see that your 8 dives buddy will not have a bad time. His skills aren't there yet, so these skills will be EASY to learn.

Great reports. Very interesting :)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to update us, when I'm sure that sleep and rest should be a higher priority for you :wink:

Bjorn

TSandM:
I do not think this is the strongest DIR-F class that Steve has ever seen. But all the feedback has been dispassionate and kind, even if uncompromising, and that's what we came here to get.

What do you call a strong DIR-F class? One where everybody passes or one where everybody learns a lot? ";-)

I got a provisional on mine, but the most important thin I learned was what I still had (and have) to learn

Reinoud:
I got a provisional on mine, but the most important thing I learned was what I still had (and have) to learn

Same here.

Reinoud:
What do you call a strong DIR-F class? One where everybody passes or one where everybody learns a lot? ";-)

I got a provisional on mine, but the most important thin I learned was what I still had (and have) to learn
me too

jeckyll:
Great reports. Very interesting :)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to update us, when I'm sure that sleep and rest should be a higher priority for you :wink:

Bjorn

Ditto! I've really enjoyed the reports. Too bad we can't see the videos. :D

Wiping her brow, she says, "Whew. That's over."

I'm too wiped to write much.

1. I could have written the evaluation at the end of the class before the class started. I pretty much knew where I was weak, and there were no surprises.

2. A three person team with a grand total of 84 dives among them (60 of those mine) is going to have trouble with Fundies skills.

3. Steve White has an enviable ability to deliver accurate and critical feedback in a completely matter-of-fact, nonjudgmental way.

4. Video cameras are merciless. The best you can hope for is that the videographer will get distracted by a completely bizarre sea creature flapping its ears through the course and forget to film whatever disaster you are currently involved with (happened!)

5. People who do things well enough that the only thing the instructor can find to criticize is that their car keys are hanging out of their pocket should be very pleased.

6. Sorry to say this, but Jet fins DO make a difference. A BIG difference. A HUGE difference. Put mine on and presto -- frog kicks, modified frog kicks, a little bit of back kick, and almost a helicopter turn. I had the idea. I didn't have the equipment.

7. My husband asked me, "So what did you learn that made it worth the misery you went through to take this class?" My answer: The kicks alone would have been worth taking the class. Second to the kicks were the lessons in buddy awareness. Not just "Where is my buddy?", but, "How is my buddy doing? Do both my buddies know what we are doing? Is everybody's equipment as it should be? Is anybody having a problem, and do I need to corral the other team member to go help?" Despite my near obsession with buddy awareness, this was one of the specific deficiencies identified on my evaluation -- sigh. Had I not had Bob and Scubaboard, I would have gotten more from the classroom materials, which are excellent if you have not seen them before.

If you dive the way they taught us, you will have a thorough dive planning process, predive evaluation and equipment check, a buddy TEAM for your dive, and constant feedback from your dive buddies on how you are diving and where you can improve.

In my personal opinion, this class was well worthwhile. It would have been more enjoyable had some of my skills been more solid before going into it, but I did come away, I think, with the building materials to reinforce everything that was weak.

We'll see. I got a provisional by the skin of my teeth, and in doing so, I committed to the work and practice necessary to bring all the deficient areas up to snuff.

Bob, when are we diving?

Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the great report.

Thank you for the great reports! That and lingering near the class a while as my tanks were being filled Friday and Saturday (I will confess, I caught a bit of the video of Rick's "Flogger" kick) only makes me want to take the class more. Can't wait until January.

-Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom