Nightly F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice to see stuff coming from the female side.

You'll get a kick out of this: The videographer from yesterday was a woman who is a TDI/IANTD instructor. We had a bunch of non-diving related stuff in common and were shooting the breeze in the classroom during the evening, when I said, "Can I ask you a female kind of question?" She said, "Sure." And I said, "You showed up this morning wearing makeup . . . and you still have makeup on." She said, "Yeah, and . . . ?" I said, "Where did you find a mascara that doesn't dissolve in salt water and run into your eyes and sting?" At which point all my fellow classmates were rolling their eyes and groaning . . .

There were some pretty funny moments to enjoy -- or not -- during the video review. At one point, Steve signals me and one of my teammates: YOU and YOU buddy up and air share. So I turn to my teammate, but he isn't looking at me. I wait and he doesn't look up. Finally, I kind of wave my hand down where he's looking and he looks up, and I signal OOA. He just looks at me. I wait a few seconds, and signal again. He mirrors the signal. I am now totally confused . . . did he not get straight which of us is supposed to be OOA? Or is he telling me he can't start the skill until he has his buoyancy sorted out, which is something we are allowed to do? So I wait, and nothing happens. So I signal OOA again, and he has a perplexed expression and mirrors it back to me. At this point, the Avenging Angel descends, signals me to hold, and swims rapidly toward my buddy, spitting out his regulator and flailing his hands and repeatedly signalling OUT OF AIR OUT OF AIR OUT OF AIR!!!!! At that point, the light goes on in my buddy's head and he proceeds to complete a pretty decent air share drill. You watch it on the video and you see two totally confused people -- he thought I was signalling buoyancy, and I thought he was signalling out of air . . . An object lesson in literally getting your signals straight. There was never ANY doubt about what STEVE was saying . . .

It was also pretty amusing on the video when a troop of other divers proceeds to swim right through the middle of the class -- despite the upline and the clearly marked course. You wonder what they were thinking.

The standards for satisfactory completion of skills are high. It is not enough, as Rick says, to do the skill. You must do the skill AND maintain buoyancy and trim within pretty narrow lines, AND maintain acceptable (which means darned good) buddy awareness. A perfectly performed skill with perceptual narrowing does not pass, and reverting to a vertical position in the middle of an air share doesn't either (she says, wincing). A perfectly performed skill with good buoyancy and buddy awareness is going to get ragged on if your gear isn't properly stowed, or your tank valve cover is floating up and creating a potential entanglement hazard.

So part of this learning over time, I think, is training your eye -- learning to SEE more than, for example, simply identifying your buddy's whereabouts. And I think that might be part of the reason why you get some of the snide remarks about other divers' equipment . . . If you train your eye to spot anything hanging, loose or improperly rigged, it's becomes a visual dissonance when you see it. Of course, that doesn't excuse sneering at divers who have made other decisions, and I will attempt to refrain from doing so :)

The last thing I am going to say is, having now taken the class, I understand why everybody keeps telling people who ask questions, "Take the class." I think in some ways the most valuable lessons from the last three days are the hardest even to try to explain -- concepts which are, as yet for me, not perfectly gelled, having to do with integrating everything, from pre-dive planning to skills performance to team function, into a seamless whole which leaves few, if any, holes for error to sneak through.

Such an approach may seem excessively anal for someone like me, who wants to dive to look at the fishes, and certainly at the beginning, it feels rigid and artificial to an extent. But I suspect if one makes a habit of doing things this way, it wouldn't take long for it just to feel comfortable and normal. My father, who was an airline pilot for almost 30 years, never got in any airplane, including his own, without completing his checklists, and not from memory, either. This is diving with a similar ethic.

Well, that's my last blast from Fundies, and now you will hear nothing from me for a month, as I observe Bob's 30-day post Fundies quarantine :)

TSandM:
You'll get a kick out of this: The videographer from yesterday was a woman who is a TDI/IANTD instructor. We had a bunch of non-diving related stuff in common and were shooting the breeze in the classroom during the evening, when I said, "Can I ask you a female kind of question?" She said, "Sure." And I said, "You showed up this morning wearing makeup . . . and you still have makeup on." She said, "Yeah, and . . . ?" I said, "Where did you find a mascara that doesn't dissolve in salt water and run into your eyes and sting?" At which point all my fellow classmates were rolling their eyes and groaning . . .
I LOVE it! ROFLMAO! :biggrin:

TSandM:
There were some pretty funny moments to enjoy -- or not -- during the video review. At one point, Steve signals me and one of my teammates: YOU and YOU buddy up and air share. So I turn to my teammate, but he isn't looking at me. I wait and he doesn't look up. Finally, I kind of wave my hand down where he's looking and he looks up, and I signal OOA. He just looks at me. I wait a few seconds, and signal again. He mirrors the signal. I am now totally confused . . . did he not get straight which of us is supposed to be OOA? Or is he telling me he can't start the skill until he has his buoyancy sorted out, which is something we are allowed to do? So I wait, and nothing happens. So I signal OOA again, and he has a perplexed expression and mirrors it back to me. At this point, the Avenging Angel descends, signals me to hold, and swims rapidly toward my buddy, spitting out his regulator and flailing his hands and repeatedly signalling OUT OF AIR OUT OF AIR OUT OF AIR!!!!! At that point, the light goes on in my buddy's head and he proceeds to complete a pretty decent air share drill. You watch it on the video and you see two totally confused people -- he thought I was signalling buoyancy, and I thought he was signalling out of air . . . An object lesson in literally getting your signals straight. There was never ANY doubt about what STEVE was saying . . .
This is fascinating to me, I was trained in OW to drop the reg and give the OOA signal while blowing bubbles. We have an OW exercise called "Drink-n-Drown" where the instructor drops their reg and signals OOA. The students have to swim across the deep end and provide air before the instructor is out of bubbles and forced to pick up their reg or have the safety diver intervene. If you're slow you get congratulated for drowning your instructor.

Sounds like a great class, I'm really glad you two shared your experiences.
Ber :lilbunny:

TSandM:
This may surprise people who have not taken DIR-F, but the most frequent comment I heard today was, "I am NOT here to tell you what to do or how to do it. I am here to give you information. You are all adults, and you will go home and make your own decisions." Furthermore, not a SINGLE brand name . . . of ANYTHING . . . was mentioned in the entire day.

So many things to quote you on...

Thank you both for a fantastic write up... felt like I was reliving my class (though we weren't able to go home, and boy some bourbon would have been nice...)!

Complete with a class of OW students swimming through the middle of exercises- - (conspiracy theory- - GUE must contract w/ folks to have this take place to help make a point). Lots of chuckles, lots of "ohh yea's I forgot about that"... wish I did a similar write up...

The similarities between your learning experiences, and what my own are uncanny even more so when one notes the comments from other folks from across the country that have taken the class (hmmm emphasis on the taken the class?!?). Sooo many parts were drastically different from the "brow beating lectures" I was warned about, and soo many parts that are next to impossible to describe, but all in all coming together to completely change the way one approaches diving.

sorry not trying to do a soap box - - Glad you had a great time, thanks for sharing it with us!

now if I could just get somewhere close to that level that I've seen...

Dave

thanks, guys!! i'll expect more after the quarantine...

where you found the time i do not know but thank you very much for posting everday on here
Peter Guy:
I never want to tackle I-405 at 8 a.m. on a Friday morning!)QUOTE]
i would have to say i would rather walk then get on the 405 an 8am

caverdave:
So many things to quote you on...

Thank you both for a fantastic write up... felt like I was reliving my class (though we weren't able to go home, and boy some bourbon would have been nice...)!

Complete with a class of OW students swimming through the middle of exercises-

I don't know what is worse: last year a DIR-F in the Netherlands happened to be on the same spot of the yearly DIR mailinglist meeting. So the class had about 50 specators that knew how it was supposed to look.

(luckily the normal visibility is about 4 meters over here ";-)

TSandM:
The standards for satisfactory completion of skills are high. It is not enough, as Rick says, to do the skill. You must do the skill AND maintain buoyancy and trim within pretty narrow lines, AND maintain acceptable (which means darned good) buddy awareness. A perfectly performed skill with perceptual narrowing does not pass, and reverting to a vertical position in the middle of an air share doesn't either (she says, wincing). A perfectly performed skill with good buoyancy and buddy awareness is going to get ragged on if your gear isn't properly stowed, or your tank valve cover is floating up and creating a potential entanglement hazard.
Wait until you take Tech2.:D A friend who just went through it, tells me that you have to do all skills with only a 1' fluctuation in buoyancy.

TSandM:
Such an approach may seem excessively anal for someone like me, who wants to dive to look at the fishes, and certainly at the beginning, it feels rigid and artificial to an extent. But I suspect if one makes a habit of doing things this way, it wouldn't take long for it just to feel comfortable and normal. My father, who was an airline pilot for almost 30 years, never got in any airplane, including his own, without completing his checklists, and not from memory, either. This is diving with a similar ethic.
What you will find is that much of this becomes instinctive and only takes a passing thought. For instance, you will always look over your buddies gear before you get in the water. If something is out of place, you will notice it right away. When you deviate from the predive routine some little voice will go off in the front of the brain and tell you that you just missed something. You will now do a bubble check even when you are fluttering like a flag while hanging on to an anchor line. When you are underwater and can no longer see your buddies light, even though you are completely absorbed in looking at the fish, the alarm goes off.

That's why in addition to Bob's idea about newly minted DIRF'd divers being quiet for 30 days, I advise taking that energy and working on this new skill set that you just learned. Get the routine hammered in so well that it becomes second nature on all the skills. Then you can enjoy the dive and rely on your new 6th sense. It should only take a hundred or so dives...:D

BTW - thanks for the great reports. It was fun to read both your perspectives.

Now go out and do some S-drills.

Well, I'm totally fired up and ready to go work on skills, and even have new way cool dive buddies to go work on it with, but my dratted dry suit redeveloped its nasty leak on Sunday, so I'm high and dry for who knows how long :(

Time for a backup drysuit. I recommend all black. :D :D

There's a really good link around here somewhere on patching dry suits, can't find it at the moment though.
Ber :lilbunny:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom