Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely don't feel as tired through the day if I am diving 4-6 dives a day over a period of a week or two (normal for me on a trip) using Nitrox, and I am more likely to do more diving. Maybe it's a placebo, maybe it's not. I can easily look back at my logs where we had unlimited nitrox on a trip vs nitrox not available and easily see that we did at least one dive more per day and usually two or three more per day.

I don't go on trips to do the typical two tank morning dives then spend the rest of the day and evening bellied up to the bar & buffet drinking and eating the day away -- not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my thing.

Without getting lured into the “feel better or not” discussion, or the values of diving nitrox (I believe air is for filling tires and all dives should be oxygen enriched (nitrox) or helium (trimix), but that is just me), there is another benefit from taking that class that should not be overlooked. The nitrox class is the usually the first time the new diver starts to really learn about the physiology of diving, partial pressures of gasses, and how breathing gasses affect the body under pressure. It’s talked about some and glossed over in OW, but the new diver has so much going on that things not directly related to skills or just breathing underwater don’t get a lot of attention or retained. I used to love teaching this class for the reasons I just stated. I find that online classes do a fine job of teaching this now, and I am happy to say that my online students come away with a good understanding of the material. I use both the PADI Nitrox Specialty and TDI Nitrox Online online classes.

I don't feel a difference when using nitrox. I'm pooped after a day of diving no matter what. I often have to take a nap on my drive home (only 3 hours too!) because I'm so exhausted.

That said, everyone should take nitrox. It's a pretty cheap course.

I am considering certifying to dive with Nitrox. I am a warm water recreational diver who is now retired and planning on doing more diving. Most of my diving thus far is during week long dive trips to several different Caribbean islands. Is there really enough benefit gained by a diver like me certifying Nitrox?

Also I noticed I can get certified just by doing an online course. Is this OK, advisable or is there significant advantage to taking the course at a LDS? WHat are the typical costs of such courses. The one I saw for online cert was listed at $89.95 USD.

It depends on the diving depth.

1) If you dive to 30m/100ft then your allowable bottom time will be radically longer - like 1.5 times longer.

Alternatively, you can increase your safety marginal. This is also equivalent to reducing the hit you take from nitrogen bubbles and their effects after the dive. Your body is not as busy fighting the bubbles and dealing with other troubles, and you will probably feel less tired as a result.

2) at shallow depth the benefit dimishes

3) at deeper depth you are gaining just a few minutes, as the oxygen% must be made sufficiently low

A week long diving trip causes nitrogen accumulation. You may not get rid of nitrogen as fast as you gain new. Diving on an oxygen rich mixture would certainly benefit you. You could do shallow dives using 36-40% oxygen and the deeper dives with 32% and it would be beneficial.

Nitrox diving is about choosing a good mixture (usually 36% or 32% sometimes 28%) and knowing how deep one can go with what mixture. Some other things covered by the course are cylinder markings and other theoretic but usefull stuff. The course can be done online. Doing it at a local dive shop however makes it possible to ask questions and get an immediate answer.

Suggest you do a bit of online research about this company ... nobody I know of recognizes their c-card ...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-scuba-certification-agencies/459631-sda-nitrox-scuba-lessons.html

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Over 50 dives using my SDA card all over the caribbean and NYS. I also carry my PADI card but have never had to put it out. I just use the SDA to prove it works to people here.

You saying it works proves just about nothing whatsoever, especially when theres lots of people claiming the exact opposite..

You saying it works proves just about nothing whatsoever, especially when theres lots of people claiming the exact opposite..

I have proven using my SDA card it works, the others all claim to know "someone who knew someone and it did not work" or claim they would never accept where they dive. Today in 4 years of diving with it and going to 5 islands in the caribbean and 4 places in NYS I have never had an issue using the card. Do you have the card Tigerman? did it not work for you? if not then you're passing on false rumors.

I could post the places but I am sure some here will harass them but I can assure you they are some of the top places to dive and reviewed here, infact even invaded here... Oh hell Stuart's cove was one Buddy Dive just took it last week. Not talking BS like many about things they do not know directly about.

SDA cards are accepted and work no matter how much some hate that.

Now argue it is bad training, unsafe or whatever and you MAY have leg to stand on.

So you saying it works is proof, anyone else saying it doesn't is false rumors?
That makes perfect sense..

He's got a point there... ^^

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom