Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby F:
Yes the formula's are in Padi as well as the other organizations courses. I was refering to the Circle "T" and best mix. I teach padi & know the circle "T" is not in their material and don't remember if best mix is or not since I do teach the circle "T" and that covers best mix. Sorry for not being clear.

Hi Bobby, it might help if you explain what the circle "T" is. I teach PADI nitrox and have never heard of a circle "T", is it possible that this is known as something else?

I can picture a circle "T" and it may be the same as what I know as Dalton's Diamond, where the PPO2 is above the horizontal, gas fraction on one side of the vertical, and depth pressure on the other side of the vertical:-

i.e. PPO2 = gas fraction x depth pressure*
MOD = PPO2 / Gas Fraction*
Best Mix = PPO2 / depth pressure*

* Rough workings, do not use unless trained to do so.

If this is what you mean then no it isn't taught on the PADI course, unless introduced by the instructor (advisable), however, anyone can easily work backwards using the MOD and PPO2 on the given table.

COVCI:
Have you ever determined "Best Mix" and then gone to a shop and actually got that mix based upon your request?

Thanks,
Chris

On a blender's standpoint, whatever a customer requests for their "Best Mix" is filled to their request. Unless, you request something that is not a basic nitrox certification level, then it leaves for speculation and your request will not be filled until you talk to the "Boss".

I took an SDI / TDI Nitrox course, and found it a very good class. Whether you use it or not i do believe it gives a better understanding of air in general. As a blender I see "best mix" requests all the time. We get a lot of deco mixes as well. DMP is right we do check for the right certs.

I took the PADI Nitrox class in very early September. Easily the most informative class I've taken yet. As so many others have stated, it isn't hard. As with everything else, "Plan your dive and Dive your plan".

We didn't go over "best mix", but I'd tend to believe that is because most LDS'es will only carry EANx32 or EANx36 mix pre-blended, or only manually blend those mixes.

It is vitally important that you, as the diver, verifies the EANx mix that is in your tank. You could be thinking you're getting EANx32 when you're really getting EANx36, ect.

I'd like to think that no LDS worth it's salt would give someone a EANx fill without verifying correct training first and making sure they check the fill, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

As long as you watch your MODs and O2pp's, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom