Nitrox fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And if the tank is never filled with dirty air why does it need an annual VIP?

Its not hard for a little moisture to get inside the tank. for example it the valve or fill whip has a little condensation on it when hooked up. In steel tanks, that moisture will cause rust.

Its not hard for a little moisture to get inside the tank. for example it the valve or fill whip has a little condensation on it when hooked up. In steel tanks, that moisture will cause rust.

Mosture in the valve should end up in the regulator rather than the tank. In the fill whip rides right into the tank

Because the shop won't fill them without it. If you have your own compressor, do whatever you want.
It has to have a VIP sticker to show that the tank is clean. If we put air in the tank it may not be clean anymore. The point is that a VIP sticker doesn't mean anything unless you just checked the tank and applied it.

It has to have a VIP sticker to show that the tank is clean. If we put air in the tank it may not be clean anymore. The point is that a VIP sticker doesn't mean anything unless you just checked the tank and applied it.
It's the only indication available, unless you are suggesting a new VIP is needed before every fill.

It's the only indication available, unless you are suggesting a new VIP is needed before every fill.
Just pointing out the fallacy. If you just got that contaminated fill the next PP fill will blow up, except it doesn't.

Mosture in the valve should end up in the regulator rather than the tank. In the fill whip rides right into the tank

So if there is a drop of water in the center orifice of a DIN tank valve and the filler hooks up the whip to fill the tank.. Where do you think that drop of water will end up?

I was thinking about having my tanks O2 cleaned then just having Nitrox fills from this shop.
But when I am on a trip where I take my tanks I can't be sure I can get a refill that is O2 compatable air if they don't offer Nitrox fills.
How do y'all handle possible contamination?

I was thinking about having my tanks O2 cleaned then just having Nitrox fills from this shop.
But when I am on a trip where I take my tanks I can't be sure I can get a refill that is O2 compatable air if they don't offer Nitrox fills.
How do y'all handle possible contamination?
Hey, if it has a current O2 VIP it is good to go. If it doesn't it will blow up when you put in the O2. Simple.

Yeah, that is what I was worried about.
This lds banks 32%. That technically doesn'r require O2 cleaning but that is still a good idea.
If I do get my tanks O2 cleaned, then get a fill that is air but not O2 compayable, then get a Nitrox fill that isn't pre blended, things could get bad in a hurry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom