NITROX for any and all dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not have to, I just asked my sister who is a professor who has spent most of her working life teaching doctors. She is also a Fellow of the royal society of pharmacologists.
Hyperbaric treatment using increased oxygen % is used to increase the rate of healing of injuries sustained by motorcycle racers. Put 2 identical athletes on treadmills, one using air, the other Nitrox, the Nitrox fuelled athlete will leave the air athlete standing, that is why EPO (although it works slightly differently to Nirox) was used to boost professional cyclists.
Most patients that were admitted for treatment in our chamber in HK have nothing to do with DCS.

I would be interested in seeing the research on this. Can you provide a link?
From the PADI Enriched Air Diver Manual;
"the DCI incidence rate is already so low in recreational diving that simply reducing nitrogen is unlikely to produce a meaningful safety improvement. Although there's been no experimental study of this, statistical estimates suggest that using enriched air within normal air limits only reduces the incidence rate a fraction of a percent. There is some risk reduction (mathematecally) if you use enriched air within air no decompression limits, but probably not a realistic, significant safety improvement from a practical point of view."

From the PADI Enriched Air Diver Manual;
"the DCI incidence rate is already so low in recreational diving that simply reducing nitrogen is unlikely to produce a meaningful safety improvement. Although there's been no experimental study of this, statistical estimates suggest that using enriched air within normal air limits only reduces the incidence rate a fraction of a percent. There is some risk reduction (mathematecally) if you use enriched air within air no decompression limits, but probably not a realistic, significant safety improvement from a practical point of view."
Oh, I know that, but what that says is very different from what you said.

The ratio of divers getting bent has not changed since the certifying agencies began teaching nitrox classes. If you want to reduce the risk of the bends, slow your ascent. You will feel better if you do.

More anecdote here. When I started diving it was 60 fpm to the surface and safety stops where for pansies. I was fatigued and had "niggles" after nearly every dive. At the time I didn't know better and didn't realize it was subclinical DCS. I rather liked it with a post dive beer. Had I been on nitrox I think I would have felt better. These days with more controlled ascents and safety stops I don't think I can tell the difference, but I do believe I am less loaded on Nitrox and safer.

I do believe I am less loaded on Nitrox and safer.

That's been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt (assuming of course that you dive the same profile that you do with air).

I was not aware that there was an IANTD Recreational trimix class--if it involves decompression stops, how is it recreational?

BTW, a recent study showed no real difference between helium and nitrogen in required decompression.

... it did not involve decompression stops ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My brother has an old 1st stage set up with a tire inflator in case of need on Bonaire. Only dives 32%. Watched him air up several times over a 2 week trip. He did finally get the tire fixed...
BTW, his tires will dryrot before the extra O2 effects them. And the nitrox is no extra cost in Bonaire

Last edited:
i WILL ALSO SAY THAT I WAS A SMOKER TILL 97 [ /QUOTE]

How old are you? Really inspirational to see these older folks out diving!

This would be another anecdote. My girlfriend would get mild headaches after the 2nd dive on air on our 1st trip to Cozumel. Towards the end of the week, the headache was starting before dive 1 ended. Someone on the boat referred to it as a "nitrogen headache" and suggested getting the ean cert and using nitrox. So we did that before trip #2.
First dive of the day is always the deeper dive in Cozumel and we would do that on air, then switch to ean32 for the 2nd and 3rd dives. She did not get headaches on the 2nd trip.
Other potential factors that might have played a part would include being much more comfortable in the water. That probably also accounts for a measurably lower sac on the 2nd trip. I've also learned since that she was probably experiencing mild dcs symptoms on that 1st trip. Fortunately, the headaches was the only symptom she had.
We use nitrox for all our dives now. Don't know if it makes any difference for me feeling better or not, but it makes her feel better so I guess that makes me feel better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom