Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK , so here's question # 1.

Who's LDS is NOT using top quality air?

Question # 2.

Who's gear is THAT dirty?

Now here's where I tell you I brew my own mix, I will use any of my tanks, or any of my gear, to fill or breathe pure O2 at any time.

And NO I'm not a Darwin candidate.

(Some views may differ :D )

Yes it's welding grade O2.......

Be careful, be clean, and do some learning first. Take it easy on the fill rates, and you're more than half way there to a safe fill with any "marginally clean" gear.

Which is not to say dirty gear is a good thing.

paulwlee once bubbled...
Well, the Atomic Aquatics manual states that the T1, that is solid titanium and in which most components are titanium is compatible with Nitrox up to 40%.
Yes and I believe Oceanic states the same. I don't know what it is that makes these reg's better in this respect than others or whether these companies have different criteria of what is acceptable. it doesn't change the fact that Titanium is less suited in oxygen rich environments than materials like brass and stainless steel. However I would not hesitate to use a T1 with EAN40.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

DeepScuba once bubbled...
Who's LDS is NOT using top quality air?
Of course they're all using "top quality" air. In my area there are about 20 or so dive centers and only 3 of those offer oxygen-compatible air (the same 3 that offer Nitrox...no coincidence!). The other 17 offer Grade-E air, which is certainly "top quality", but definitely not oxygen-compatible.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Then it's NOT top quality.

There's no excuse for it.

It's like using non-O2 lubricants here and there in certain regs.

If you always use the Christo-Lube, then there's never a mix-up on who got what.

Do it right or forget about it.

Maybe this is why I can get away with teh things I do, because it's always clean, and I'm always careful, and besides, with enough care, in reality, you could probably fill any old tank and use any old reg with pure O2.......But why would you?

This in now way negates my prior comment of being able to use just about any reg with pure O2 right out of the box.

My bet is they're all using Christo-Lube or equivalent for factory lubrication.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom