NLE's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do disagree with Ann on her suggestions to some that iMovie or Final Cut Express would be the way to go for many. If cost is the issue, then she is correct. They will do a good job. However, learning Final Cut Pro is not the difficult job it was when they first came out with version 1.0. Then, there were no books, tutorials, or forums to help you learn and the original manual was anorexic and difficult to understand. Those of us who got into the first version were coming off of linear editing systems like the Videonics controllers and generators and had to learn an entirely new lexicon of editing. This is not the case anymore and hasn't been in some time. I could teach in a couple of hours what it took me the first year to learn. Thus, I would strongly recommend to anyone, hobbiest or professional, that if they need to go through a learning curve to begin with, they might as well do it with Final Cut Pro. They won't outgrow FCP as they will very possibly do with iMovie.

I understand what you are saying and you make some good points. If ease of learning was holding some people back, it shouldn't any longer. But for most middle class folks, cost will always be an issue to some degree and FCP is a major investment. It sounds like you have been doing video long enough to justify such an expenditure, but I would not suggest that anyone go out and purchase a high end software suite unless one of the following conditions exist:

A. They are making money from their videos

B. Lower end programs are not meeting their needs

C. They can afford it and have done enough underwater video to be sure that they are going to stick with the hobby for a long time.

FCP has some fantastic features and is downright necessary for some (and easy enough to learn). But if someone just wants software that will allow them to capture video, edit on a timeline, add transitions, titles, audio tracks, and do basic color correction, I would suggest that they start with a lower end program, at least to learn the basic principles of editing and to decide if they want to invest more money into an already expensive hobby. They may find that it meets all of their needs. If later they decide that they need a more robust package, they can always purchase it.

Thanks. For underwater work we're using the Sony Z1u, Gates housing, and Fathom Imaging super wide angle dome port. Land based stuff has been a mix of everything - DV, Beta, DigiBeta, HD, etc.

I've been using Adobe Premiere 6.0 for years (earlier versions before that) to create hundreds of episodes for my cable TV show as well as 7 DVD's. It does everything I need it to, although I will say that most of my editing is fairly simple with relatively few special effects (my style is documentary).

Premiere 6.0 and earlier versions would frequently freeze up (sometimes 3-4 times a day) while editing so I save frequently. Of course that could all be related to the Windoze OS. Project file integrity has been superb... I don't think I've ever had a project file get corrupted.

I recently began using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 for my HDV editing. It has many problems that I never experienced with Premiere 6.0 editing mini-DV footage.

I am considering a move to a Mac system for my video editing and if I do, I'll be using FCP.

I find it very interesting that the new Premier Pro interface has been made to look very much like that of Final Cut Pro. Imitation is the best form of flattery, they say. I was just sent the Adobe Production Suite to review but won't be installing Premier Pro, just like FCP too much. At least I was honest and told them I wouldn't install Pro, just the new Photoshop and After Effects.
Steve:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom