No Ferry To Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemano:
The EA should have been done years ago and anybody with any knowledge of the issues knows that.
Two different circuit court judges decided that no EA was needed. The legislature considered the issue and voted against a bill that would require an EA. I guess the legislature and those two judges have no knowledge of the issues.

Charlie99:
I'm not sure how they figure that the ferry is going to put uranium dust into the back of pickup trucks, but THAT IS REALLY REALLY SCARY.
The Stryker Brigade has used DU rounds in training here. That results in DU dust which could get on the military vehicles. They will travel on the Supperferry, so DU dust could get on the Supperferry and then possibly on civilian vehicles.

I was not saying I am worried about it. I was pointing out that others have brought up the point in the past and todays news somewhat verifies their concerns. I believe that if the Law is followed HSF will go under. The travesty is that this should have happened before the State and Federal taxpayer money was doled out. The HSF big wigs will all make millions off this no matter how it ends up and failure was very likely part of the plan.

Charlie99:
Two different circuit court judges decided that no EA was needed. The legislature considered the issue and voted against a bill that would require an EA. I guess the legislature and those two judges have no knowledge of the issues.
Or the decisions were bought, not decided on the legal issues. It does not matter much, you can either do the web research or wait until it comes out in the media. Corruption is the reason Hawaii has egg on it's face, not the actions of the citizens.

Edit; those Circuit Court Judges did not rule on the issue of EA. As I said, investigate before you type.

What do you guys think will happen?

I would imagine if any dead whales were washing up, they would get shut down promptly,..wouldn't they? Will we know if they start hitting and killing whales?

catherine96821:
I would imagine if any dead whales were washing up, they would get shut down promptly,..wouldn't they? Will we know if they start hitting and killing whales?
Earlier this year the Expeditions Maui to Lanai ferry hit whales 2 days in a row. IIRC, they only reported one of the strikes, but passengers told the media about the other. I don't think any action was taken.

halemano:
Corruption is the reason Hawaii has egg on it's face, not the actions of the citizens.

I hope you're not including the actions of the Kauai protestors in this statement.

There's an acceptable way to protest, and what the protestors on Kauai did IMO was not acceptable.

Pounding on cars, throwing rocks, letting air out of tires, screaming "GO HOME" to fellow state residents - I saw it as bullying mob behavior.

Besides feeling some shock at seeing/reading about those incidents, I also felt some embarassment from the actions of those citizens.

halemano,
with all due respect (you know I value your informative environmental posts!)

we need to let the military train the 19 year olds we are sending to war to possibly die. Training means fewer deaths...lets have as much regard for them as alien species and whales.

JB says the Hawaiian islands would be part of Japan if not for the military.:11doh:

halemano:
Or the decisions were bought, not decided on the legal issues...... Corruption is the reason Hawaii has egg on it's face, not the actions of the citizens.
But, but, this state has been controlled for over 50 years by one group, how could there possibly be corruption??? Have the people been fooled by who they keep electing? :14:

All right, no politics allowed here................

chepar:
I hope you're not including the actions of the Kauai protestors in this statement.
What I'm saying is if the Lingle Administration had not circumvented the Law for friends of their friends (&$$$), there would have been much less hub bub. Kauai hand delivered a petition with thousands of signatures to the Capital building and Lingle refused to accept it, even refused to meet with the representative. Lingle made this bed and we will all now get to watch the tossing and turning.

catherine96821:
halemano,
with all due respect (you know I value your informative environmental posts!)

we need to let the military train the 19 year olds we are sending to war to possibly die. Training means fewer deaths...lets have as much regard for them as alien species and whales.

JB says the Hawaiian islands would be part of Japan if not for the military.:11doh:
First off, if the Pacific Fleet had not been in Pearl Harbor, would the attack have happened?

Secondly, I gave you all some links to educate yourself about what others have dug up about this venture. I am not the author of these web pages, I just pointed out they are there. All I have ever said is the EA was mandated by Law and Lingle decided the Law didn't matter. Now we will see if she is right, but this should have been decided before $200 million in public funds was committed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom