No Ferry To Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
Lots of judicial activism. Lots of potential claims against the state.
What happens when you have one ruling political party: total corruption and incompetence.

Sounds like Oahu should charge $1000.00 entrance fee's to the people of kauai and ESPECIALLY from Maui. Oh, and take away all the Fed money that gets pumped in as well, it is not really helping considering that the schools are the worst in the nation.
For the last 2 months I have not seen a "Let's suceed from the Nation" commercial, it's been great. Only thing I miss is the diving and friends.....not much else.....

"Let's suceed from the Nation"

I say, lets give them a probation period of two years. They would get hungry.

Living on another island, I can understand some of this but... if there's "No Ferry To Maui," maybe you'll just have to wait until the day after To Maui. Heck, cross channel boats to Catalina get cancelled during storms forcing us to wait another day. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

mrjimboalaska:
For the last 2 months I have not seen a "Let's suceed from the Nation" commercial,

(forgive me if the incorrect spelling was a joke in and of itself, or referred to a joke made ina commercial, unfortunately I don't live in Hawaii)

But I really don't think if they treat every business like this that they'll ever succeed. The more government regulation, the worse off we are. Of course, we need some regulation, because people are not inherently good, and if you can make a buck killing someone, then you will, or someone will. But after a certain point, government only bungles things up and makes it all more difficult, especially from an economics point of view.

Now all these kayakers and surfers, if one of them drowned or was eating by a shark, could they sue the SuperFerry company? And, just because I am curious, did any of them break any laws? I'd love to arrest a protestor for breaking a law. (right now is Frat rush at my college and lots of underage people are drinking, and down at the rush site, no one is parking legally, and I can almost garuntee you that no minor will be arrested for underage drinking, and no one will get a parking ticket. But, if I am seen with the beer bottles, tossing them in the trash tomorrow, I'd probably be pulled aside for questioning, as a minor, and God forbid I parked on the grass by my dorm, becuase that's not a legal parking spot,e ven though I paid good money for a spot and the lot was entirely full, becuase they sold more parking decals than they had parking spots.)

They arrested 3 during the first protest and 12 on the second day. They were breaking several laws, such as blocking an active boat channel, some were splashing water at the coast guardsmen (which could be seen as a type of assault I guess) but the worst was when they litterally stormed a car and were hitting it, pushing it around and throwing themselves in the path of the traffic - definitely harrassment.

Unfortunately a lot of protestors in Hawaii cost the rest of us a LOT of good things. Doing business in Hawaii is very difficult, and to this day there are certain businesses you cannot even start unless you are a specific nationality, or have a friend in the right department ... it's NOT a good situation...

If any of you are willing to investigate the issue(s) before typing, here are a few links:

http://superferryimpact.com/index.htm

http://superferryimpact.com/risks.htm

http://www.mauiweekly.com/localnews/story5038.aspx

http://www.mauinews.com/letters/2007/8/29/05high0829.html

The first two links are out of Kauai, but the second includes a link to a Maui News editorial on how Gov. Lingle is selling out the neighbor Islands.

The last two links are from todays Maui papers; the Maui Weekly article on the Supreme Court decision and a letter to the editor in the Maui News.

If you spend a couple hours you might find out that the main Superferry dude was the Secretary for the NAVY under Regan and other HSF big wigs are also involved in Navy projects in the Pacific. Interesting how the ship builder suggested a much smaller ship, but HSF insisted on the current design, almost identicle to the West Pac Express which hauls Striker Brigades and such. There is so much more, like a fuel capacity of nearly 57,000 gallons, but you all should read it for yourself.

I suggest you start with this link, from the page that is the second link above;

http://superferryimpact.com/Unanswered-Questions-Superferry.pdf

It's ironic that another of the big stories on todays TV news is Depleted Uranium rounds found at Hawaii training grounds. The DU possibilities were brought up quite a while ago by the Kauai Superferry detractors.

Many on the outer Islands are tired of having Oahu priorities shoved down their throats. There is much more information on-line, but this is enough for now!

Many on the outer Islands are tired of having Oahu priorities shoved down their throats.

like what?

okay, I read it. I've smelled a bit of a rat from the beginning. I think the "back-up" business plan for the ferry might have some merit.

All the other stuff about VietNam and Iraq was way out there, IMO. Very anti-military. The concerns for whales really concerns me, that one seems to be a no-brainer.

Taking money from Hawaii taxpayers is like taking candy from babies, I would not be surprised if we are in for a real ordeal between this and the rail system.

halemano:
If you spend a couple hours you might find out that the main Superferry dude was the Secretary for the NAVY under Regan and other HSF big wigs are also involved in Navy projects in the Pacific. Interesting how the ship builder suggested a much smaller ship, but HSF insisted on the current design, almost identicle to the West Pac Express which hauls Striker Brigades and such. There is so much more, like a fuel capacity of nearly 57,000 gallons, but you all should read it for yourself.

It's ironic that another of the big stories on todays TV news is Depleted Uranium rounds found at Hawaii training grounds. The DU possibilities were brought up quite a while ago by the Kauai Superferry detractors.
Apparently there are quite a few people besides Halemano that fear the ferry will be used to spread depleted uranium around .... here's a quote from one of the protestors
Hawaii Activist Juan Wilson:
“One of our fears is that this would be one way of spreading a toxic form of uranium dust, particularly in powdered form in the back of pickup trucks. It’s not appropriate to move civilians and military equipment on the same deck or on the same boat without the civilians’ awareness. Another thing it does it makes the civilian ferry, a legitimate military target. ”
from http://www.rnzi.com/pages/news.php?op=read&id=34791
I'm not sure how they figure that the ferry is going to put uranium dust into the back of pickup trucks, but THAT IS REALLY REALLY SCARY.

The Stryker brigade concerns were addressed in a recent Honolulu Advertiser article
"The Superferry is definitely for the Stryker brigade," said Ikaika Hussey of the group DMZ Hawaii Aloha 'Aina, which opposes military activity in the Islands. "We're not just opposed to transporting the Strykers, we're opposed to Strykers in Hawai'i."

When plans were first announced for the project, Superferry officials had said the vessel could transport the eight-wheeled military vehicles from O'ahu to training areas on the Big Island.
Yep. Definitely makes the ferry a legitimate military target, just like those families in Kauai whose cars were getting pounded on.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070829/NEWS01/708290426/1001/NEWS --- yep. the above quote is a legit quote from a major Honolulu newspaper.

catherine96821:
like what?
It's been going on since Hawaii became a State, probably even before that. ~80% of the people live on Oahu, so more than 80% of the State Representatives vote for the interests of the Oahu people. Most of the big money players are on Oahu so most of the campaign contributions, lobbying and bribing is done for Oahu interests.

Even discounting the difference in population. What percentage of Oahu residents would like to bring their vehicle to one of the outer islands for a week of sight seeing and/or camping? Now, what percentage of Outer Islanders would like to do the same on Oahu? Now factor in the difference in population.

The EA should have been done years ago and anybody with any knowledge of the issues knows that. The EA will result in an EIS, unless the soft money buys a lot more favors. The Lingle Administration is who's to blame, not the protesters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom