NO FISH!! Need to find PADI in Marco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving and the best of the best The Scuba boarders and THE FLORIDA CONCH DIVERS. Hopefully you will have time when your in Florida to go to Crystal River and either dive, snorkel or view the manatees, they are totally awesome. They can be seen via an underwater viewing platform at Homassassa Springs State Park located just 10 miles south of Crystal River. Kings Bay in Crystal River is where most folks go to dive/snorkel with them. Several shops there run trips. Birds Underwater is one and we have also stayed at the Best Western Kings Bay Resort and went out with their Dive Shop or just rented a small boat from them and went out on our own. Try this website for some info and photos www.birdsunderwater.com they also have some housing options available. Thats the only site I have in my favorites right now but a Yahoo or Google search should help you locate others. Winter is best but some stay year round. Head the advice above on the wetsuits. That water is COLD in February and March. My Southern Florida bones don't like cold (below 82 degrees)water.LOL

Suzanne

zuzanne:
Welcome to the wonderful world of diving and the best of the best The Scuba boarders and THE FLORIDA CONCH DIVERS. Hopefully you will have time when your in Florida to go to Crystal River and either dive, snorkel or view the manatees, they are totally awesome. They can be seen via an underwater viewing platform at Homassassa Springs State Park located just 10 miles south of Crystal River. Kings Bay in Crystal River is where most folks go to dive/snorkel with them. Several shops there run trips. Birds Underwater is one and we have also stayed at the Best Western Kings Bay Resort and went out with their Dive Shop or just rented a small boat from them and went out on our own. Try this website for some info and photos www.birdsunderwater.com they also have some housing options available. Thats the only site I have in my favorites right now but a Yahoo or Google search should help you locate others. Winter is best but some stay year round. Head the advice above on the wetsuits. That water is COLD in February and March. My Southern Florida bones don't like cold (below 82 degrees)water.LOL

Suzanne

What a fantastic web site! Thank you for the info! I have yet to dive in "cold" water - I'm from Canada, eh? - but I think I will look into getting a full suit, anyway. I will definitely look into going to see the manatees, too!

simbrooks:
Its a relative term :wink:

Depends on the time of year, full 1mm (some wear shorties - just think of abrasion resistance and things in the water stinging you) from mid july- mid sept both coasts, 3mm may-july and sept-nov, 5+mm through the winter time if you are on the coasts, 5+mm for springs year round.

Search out posts on Crystal River and Manatees on here, all the phone numbers and websites are interlaced in those threads :wink: If i have time later i might look and post the info, but i dont have it to hand at the moment.

Hi Simon. I have sent the Birds Underwater people an e-mail re info on the Manatees etc. Apparently, they are a PADI shop, too. I have also contacted the Naples Dive Shop, and may go on the Key Largo trip to do my OW dives. Do you have any tips for the OW dive testing? Not sure what to expect.

Thanks,
Chantelle

gitterdun:
Hi Simon. I have sent the Birds Underwater people an e-mail re info on the Manatees etc. Apparently, they are a PADI shop, too. I have also contacted the Naples Dive Shop, and may go on the Key Largo trip to do my OW dives. Do you have any tips for the OW dive testing? Not sure what to expect.

Thanks,
Chantelle
From what i can gather you are just after referrals, or do you still need pool time and have only do the academics so far? Well saying that i am sure any instructor worth their cert should check you out in a pool first before going to the OW checkouts. As for what to expect, i couldnt say, i havent received training from these guys. Are you intending to be up in the area for a few days - as it would take at least two days to complete the dives for the course, so if you are staying around Marco i would take your course there and just snorkel with the manatees for the day. No real tips on OW training, just relax, enjoy, try your best to master the skills.

gitterdun:
Okay, so I am a new diver. I have completed the Academic portion of the PADI Open Water Diver course. I will be going to Florida in the next 10 days, and need to find a PADI facility where I can do my Open Water dives. Is there a place in Marco Island where I can do this?? Please help!!! Thanks!

There are a few shops in the area that are PADI - One thing to consider is the Gulf of Mexico is cold and, according to the last report I read, poor visibility right now as well. You may wish to consider hopping across Alligator Alley to the Ft Lauderdale or down to Key Largo area to do the check outs. The water is much warmer with better vis to do the check out dive in.

CBulla:
There are a few shops in the area that are PADI - One thing to consider is the Gulf of Mexico is cold and, according to the last report I read, poor visibility right now as well. You may wish to consider hopping across Alligator Alley to the Ft Lauderdale or down to Key Largo area to do the check outs. The water is much warmer with better vis to do the check out dive in.

yes, it was 62-64 degrees in the gulf last weekend (just out of Ft Myers) ...a tad chilly for my 3mm.....i was doing a spearfishing course so was swimming around alot to keep warm...as the other posts say - head to Key Largo (or the Ft Lauderdale side) for your checkout dives
.....off to the keys this weekend to defrost...

No real tips on OW training, just relax, enjoy, try your best to master the skills. -QUOTE

I have completed the academic and confined dives, and I have a referral as well. We did alotI just wondered if there was anything different to expect down south. I have done a couple of ocean dives, too. One in Venezuela (absolutely stunning), and one in Cuba. I am looking forward to being a "real" diver!!! But, yes, that is very good advice........... RELAX.............. That is what I needed to hear! Thank you!!

Yeah I would agree with everyone and dive on the other coast. I have so far been diving through the winter and still use a 3mm full suit no hood. average temp 70's but very fun.

Welcome along and join the crowd when you can

novafury:
Yeah I would agree with everyone and dive on the other coast. I have so far been diving through the winter and still use a 3mm full suit no hood. average temp 70's but very fun.

Welcome along and join the crowd when you can

Anything is warmer than if she decides to finish her O/W with us up here. Lake Simcoe is probably 55-60 when we start in the springtime (above the thermocline). In my opinion, any part of FL is better than that!

With that said, our divers are tough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom