No Longer Need a Temporary Driver's Permit on Cayman!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I started this new thread because this has been discussed recently in other threads and it is big news to those of us that love to visit Cayman, so it deserves to be called out IMO.

See the link below. In the past you usually bought a temporary driver's permit from the car rental agency for around $20 US per driver, but most drivers will now be able to rent a car for up to 6 months with a valid drivers license from their native country.

Do visitors still need to get temporary driving permits?

And thank you to all the SB members that helped to surface and resolve this issue!

Confusing...clicking on the link to Wikipedia and then to the Geneva convention on road traffic, it appears the USA (and Canada) are not signatories to the agreement?

Confusing...clicking on the link to Wikipedia and then to the Geneva convention on road traffic, it appears the USA (and Canada) are not signatories to the agreement?

I saw that too but the US and Canada are listed on the same page among the countries that recognize international driving permits. The information that @Alucard got from the Cayman Police is that:

For countries that do not fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of one (1) month

For countries that do fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of six (6) months.​

We will have to see what the DVDL website says but it sounds like most visitors are not going to need temporary driving permits - if they even still exist in some form.

I saw that too but the US and Canada are listed on the same page among the countries that recognize international driving permits. The information that @Alucard got from the Cayman Police is that:

For countries that do not fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of one (1) month

For countries that do fall under the Geneva Convention you are permitted to drive in the class vehicle from your country for a period of six (6) months.​
We will have to see what the DVDL website says but it sounds like most visitors are not going to need temporary driving permits - if they even still exist in some form.
Good to know... I'll be there in October. Never drove in the previous four times I've visited but we want a car next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom