Passport warnings, several...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I miss the old rules that allowed a US citizen to travel to Mexico and the Caribbean with a driver's licence and voter ID card until that changed in 2011.

Gopbroek posted about this recently on a 2018 thread, but it's really incongruent with that thread's original message as Passport application and Renewal times have changed. Be sure that your Passport is still valid before you plan a trip as new Applications and Renewals are taking much longer now, so allow at least six months...!!

He also mentioned...
If you are planning a trip remember the 180 day rule.
There are two possible 180-day rules, and I am not sure which he was referencing, but be aware of possible problems with both...

(1) US citizens generally are allowed to visit Mexico for up to 180 days without a Visa, and Cozumel no longer even requires completion of the old FMM form as the Immigration officers just write on your PP now, but it's up to the officer so avoid seeming suspicious and know your plans when you tell them...

(2) Mexico does not require that you have six months left on your PP unlike some countries, but not all Officers and airline agents are clear on that. If yours expires in less than six months, you might want to print out the text from the Mexican embassy to carry with you and allow extra time in case of confusion...

The safe thing to do, obviously, is to always have your passport renewed by the time it gets to be 6 months from expiration. If you wait until you have travel booked to start thinking about it, it may be too late (or expensive) to fix it.

We mailed our passport renewals priority express on June 16th, the day after returning from Cozumel. Paid $60 each for expediting and $20 each for 1-2 day return delivery. Just got them back Friday, July 14th. Very relieved to have them back in hand so quickly.

There is a FedEx store near our house that says it can guarantee passport renewal inside of a week. The catch you ask? The $1,200 fee for the service.

It also depends upon flavour of the day.

Nexus is supposed to be good for Canada / US travel. On a recent trip the CBP refused to accept our Nexus cards and demanded passports.

We used to have Nexus cards when we lived in Seattle because it was such an easy trip up to BC. Nexus cards work for US/Canada only. Not for entry to Mexico. Wait, it looks like after re-reading you were trying to enter Canada. Weird. We never had an issue.

We used to have Nexus cards when we lived in Seattle because it was such an easy trip up to BC. Nexus cards work for US/Canada only. Not for entry to Mexico. Wait, it looks like after re-reading you were trying to enter Canada. Weird. We never had an issue.
We were headed to the US from Vancouver. CBP = US Customs and Border Protection. CBSA is the Canuck version coming back home.

The CBP Nexus peeps in YVR have always been screwy. They still make you take your shoes off. Last time I asked, their "story" was that Nexus was just a different line to the same security check. WTF? No where else...They apparently dislike Nexus...

I visited Toronto last
We were headed to the US from Vancouver. CBP = US Customs and Border Protection. CBSA is the Canuck version coming back home.

The CBP Nexus peeps in YVR have always been screwy. They still make you take your shoes off. Last time I asked, their "story" was that Nexus was just a different line to the same security check. WTF? No where else...They apparently dislike Nexus...
I visited Toronto last summer; I was pleasantly surprised when I found that I was able to go through US Customs in the Toronto airport so that my arrival back in Austin was a domestic flight.

Canada has US customs on the Canada side so that the plane has routing flexibility into any US domestic airplane terminal rather than going into a large international terminal and mixing with all the other international travelers. It also allows the destination airport to call itself international. Like Spokane. Not the same as Sea Tac.

Canada has US customs on the Canada side so that the plane has routing flexibility into any US domestic airplane terminal rather than going into a large international terminal and mixing with all the other international travelers. It also allows the destination airport to call itself international. Like Spokane. Not the same as Sea Tac.
Yes, and I dig it. I wish the Cozumel airport had a similar facility. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom