Passport warnings, several...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Over the last year USA passport renewal times stretched into stupid. There were many stories in the news of persons missing vacations due to multiple month wait times for passport applications and renewals. The state department tried a trial online renewal program and quickly shut it down with statements that they needed to work out the kinks and should reopen it by the end of year, never happened and no updates.
My passport expires next spring (2025) and I typically use it monthly. Recently the State department issued a press statement that they had somewhat normalized the wait times to 6 - 8 weeks. I bit the bullet and sent them my renewal application and my existing passport and settled down for the wait.
I was pleasantly surprised and received my new passport in 15 days. If you have a renewal coming up this may be a good time to get it done before the summer vacation rush.
The US State Deparment came out last month and said that they have relieved much of the passport backlog and that they were back to pre-pandemic processing times for renewals. Current times are:

Standard renewal: 6-8 weeks
Expedited renewal: 3-4 weeks

This appears to be true based on multiple recent reports.

Over the last year USA passport renewal times stretched into stupid. There were many stories in the news of persons missing vacations due to multiple month wait times for passport applications and renewals. The state department tried a trial online renewal program and quickly shut it down with statements that they needed to work out the kinks and should reopen it by the end of year, never happened and no updates.
My passport expires next spring (2025) and I typically use it monthly. Recently the State department issued a press statement that they had somewhat normalized the wait times to 6 - 8 weeks. I bit the bullet and sent them my renewal application and my existing passport and settled down for the wait.
I was pleasantly surprised and received my new passport in 15 days. If you have a renewal coming up this may be a good time to get it done before the summer vacation rush.
Did you elect expedited service?. I sent mine in a couple weeks ago, nonexpedited. I have not heard anything. I don't need it until April though. From what I have been reading on the web many are getting renewels back in about 3 weeks without being expedited.

Did you elect expedited service?. I sent mine in a couple weeks ago, nonexpedited. I have not heard anything. I don't need it until April though. From what I have been reading on the web many are getting renewels back in about 3 weeks without being expedited.
Nope standard processing, it went to the Coppell processing center that handles Texas and multiple other states

Our passports (wife and myself) were set to expire in Sep of 2024. We went to our local office right here in Granite Falls, WA on Dec 27 and it was a total breeze. We submitted all required docs and pics and received our new passports in 3 weeks. We did pay for the expedited option. Could not have been any easier. Now good to go for another 9 years.

Our passports (wife and myself) were set to expire in Sep of 2024. We went to our local office right here in Granite Falls, WA on Dec 27 and it was a total breeze. We submitted all required docs and pics and received our new passports in 3 weeks. We did pay for the expedited option. Could not have been any easier. Now good to go for another 9 years.
Around Mid February I would expect an increase in initial applications for spring break (to go embarrass themselves forever) and then summer travel. I think late December to currently is the sweet spot.

The US State Deparment came out last month and said that they have relieved much of the passport backlog and that they were back to pre-pandemic processing times for renewals. Current times are:

Standard renewal: 6-8 weeks
Expedited renewal: 3-4 weeks

This appears to be true based on multiple recent reports.

Wow. I guess I will never complain about passport processing times in Canada. We have 10 days for standard, 2-9 for express and next business day for urgent! These are for in person applications. Mailing would take longer - I believe 20 days for processing plus in transit time.

Wow. I guess I will never complain about passport processing times in Canada. We have 10 days for standard, 2-9 for express and next business day for urgent! These are for in person applications. Mailing would take longer - I believe 20 days for processing plus in transit time.
These are sort of "standard" processing paths. There is an avenue to go down if you need one faster, and you can get it on the same day, either in person or through an agent. But having gone through that process twice in my life, I'd say we try everything we can to avoid the stress since it eats up an entire day of your life if you choose the in-person route.

These times are nothing compared to the backlog they experienced during COVID, which I still can't understand given that relatively nobody was traveling internationally for a year. Good ol' US Government efficiency for you!

you should never complain about anything in Canada as compares to the U.S. Except maybe winters in Calgary. Why the settlers ever stayed after their first winter is beyond me.

you should never complain about anything in Canada as compares to the U.S. Except maybe winters in Calgary. Why the settlers ever stayed after their first winter is beyond me.
I see your Calgary and raise you a Winnipeg - where I survived seven winters before fleeing to Toronto :p. I also add to the pot our broken health care system. I can complain all day about that.

I see your Calgary and raise you a Winnipeg - where I survived seven winters before fleeing to Toronto :p. I also add to the pot our broken health care system. I can complain all day about that.
at least you have a health care system.

Back
Top Bottom