No Octo?? Here goes...Blast away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn’t all that many years ago when most of us dove with no alternate air source; and BCDs hadn’t happened yet either. Amazingly, a few of us survived. :05:

However, I now dive with both.

knotical:
It wasn’t all that many years ago when most of us dove with no alternate air source; and BCDs hadn’t happened yet either. Amazingly, a few of us survived. :05:

lol, yeah... and guys went to over 300 feet on air, and a few of them survived too

doesn't make ME want to do it when trimix is available :wink:

I have one reg with no octo. I only use it for solo shallow diving.

I would dive with you even if you don't own an octo. But I would first attach my octo to your 1st stage.

Diving is a great sport but one that can take your life quick... Be a good dive buddy and save your buddy or someone you don't know who is in trouble... Dive with the proper equipment.....Dive smart and live to dive another day!!!!

billeelou:
I have only been diving a short while.
billeelou:
I have seen too many octos create more problems than they would have prevented.

Um, how many octo problems have you seen in your short diving career? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have the same thoughts as Neil. With less than 15 dives, saying you have seen more problems with octos than they have prevented isn't a large sampling. Feel free to dive without the octo. There aren't any laws against it, but carrying backup equipment for emergencies is the mature, responsible course of action. Good luck and dive safe.

May sound like a fatalist, but a guy got killed out here a few months ago in no more that 20 ft of water. Tank valve got tangled in lobster line, lost primary reg. There's more to the story but an octo positioned appropriately could have saved his life. Maybe you'll never need one, but you may never know until it's too late.

Rap

First, this is probably a troll. However if it isn't . . .

billeelou:
I have only been diving a short while. My gear does not have an octo and I really don't like one banging around.

All this guarantees is that when the **it hits the fan and your buddy runs out of air, they'll come over and mug you for your primary and then you'll have nothing.

billeelou:
I have seen too many octos create more problems than they would have prevented.

You want to see problems? Try having two divers fight over one regulator in an emergency.

Terry

billeelou:
I have only been diving a short while. My gear does not have an octo and I really don't like one banging around. My Ow instructor and several folks who have been diving A LONNNNNNG time have generally dropped theirs ( ie. don't have one)when they are not in a class setting. I have seen too many octos create more problems than they would have prevented. My BC has a mouthpiece and I have used that( on a practice basis)...I understand the buddy principle, have one for your buddy and all, but the two guys I generally go with most of the time carry a "safe second" tank...

Let 'er rip...anyone's thoughts???:wink:

Interesting how this guy shows up, posts something as stupid as this and then doesn't come back. If this is for real, congradulate him for being another Darwin award winner. If he has an Air 2 or something then he doesnt even know his equipment enough to speak about it and that means.....the Darwin Award winner anyway.

At least I know this, you wouldn't dive with me either way and if I found you on the corner of a reef at 120 ft out of air and I looked down and saw you didn't have an alternate air of some kind.....you might just be out of luck.

I vote this is a fake post to get everyone riled up.

tjmills:
Interesting how this guy shows up, posts something as stupid as this and then doesn't come back. If this is for real, congradulate him for being another Darwin award winner. If he has an Air 2 or something then he doesnt even know his equipment enough to speak about it and that means.....the Darwin Award winner anyway.

At least I know this, you wouldn't dive with me either way and if I found you on the corner of a reef at 120 ft out of air and I looked down and saw you didn't have an alternate air of some kind.....you might just be out of luck.

I vote this is a fake post to get everyone riled up.

It's a troll totally...

It's just like the guy who started the MOF thread. He has 2 posts total. But he started something alright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom