No Octo?? Here goes...Blast away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Octo or safe second? You're using a rig from the 50's right? :D

Man,,, you're diving like so last century!

I just read my DAN Alert rag this morning, and there was an article about a guy who, while diving, found himself under-weighted. So he picked up a big piece of heavy coral and shoved it between his wetsuit and his skin.

It turned out to be fire coral.

People do the funnest things. So sure, no backup reg, a little fire coral down your pants... We all enjoy a little shtick. :D

diversolo:
Suit yourself. Personally, I wouldn't dive with you. The octo is meant as a safe second for your buddy and vice versa, not for your backup. That's what a spare air or pony is for.

That's a little extreme don't ya think? lol I'm sure that the original poster meant that he has an integrated secondary air source and prefers that as the alternative to the Octo. I'm the same way. If my buddy is in need, he/she can have my primary and I'll take the AIR 2, it's not a big deal... Hell they can have my B.C. and tank also...LOL...I've made an emergency ascent from 100ft and several ascents from 50ft and above.....the 100ft one was the only one where I actually ran out of air....long story :D

anyhow, I think this was just a case of miscommunication.....I would certainly dive with anyone that preferred an AIR 2 over an Octo......if you don't have air for me, I'll just make my way to the surface at some point....not a big deal....:wink:

"Diving without an alternate air source?"

Actually an octapus is really not alternate air, it is just a second stage on the same air supply. Suprisingly many people dive without an octapus, it was the only way up until about 1970 and even then octapus use did not become "mandatory" until later than that. We were taught buddy breathing techniques, not really that big a deal. I am not recommending it unless you were trained that way, we drilled all that extensively. If I am with my wife or a buddy though I use an octapus, if not I don't see any point in one. N

I'm thinking that he possibly had instructers that just really havnt taught him SH$T, He doesnt seem to know jack about gear , possibly wouldnt be able to ID and Air2 if he saw one , but who knows . When i got my C card , i was taught a lot more than most of the new divers ive met who had different instructers.

I have no problem diving with a single tank, single first and single second stage only. As long as it's in 6 feet or less where I can stand up to take a breath.

Awap, especially when diving solo an alternate gas supply (including gas) is important. With the reliability of equipment these days an OOG situation is much more likely than failing equipment. An octopus let's someone else access your gas and the other way around. If that second gas source in form of a buddy and his octo is missing, you better carry your own redundant supply.

I've seen two out of air situations @ 90'. Buddy breathing would not have worked. Both out of air divers ripped the working 2nd stage out of the totally surprised divers with air. In one case the diver put his octo in and had that one promptly ripped out. In the other case the diver with air put his octo in and they made an ascent w/o diff. The other one bolted. He is O.K., but never could dive again. Nerves shot.
Yea, I dove before BC's and octo's. I'm glad those days are behind us. What reputable dive operator would take anybody out without these two pieces of equip.? An Instructor is totally out and unprotected by insurance if he/she allows this. Standards do two things: 1) shield you if you're within them. 2) cut you if you are outside of them.
My 2 cents;
Bill

My wife doesn't dive with an octopus. She has entanglement issues. She was an isntructor and so taught with them, but on her own rig, no way.
I always use an octopus - over the decades, I bet I've shared air with 100 people low or OOA. I also dive with seriously-overpumped LP125's so there's always plenty of gas. Since a big chunk of our diving is solo diving, an octopus isn't really an ish-ee-yew anyway.

A couple of weeks age my buddy got verry low on gas. He tuck my are and let me know. Jest nowing that I and more gas was there was anuff. We made a short 2 min stop and asented with air. It was a good felling that we both had. Just incase was anuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom