No Octo?? Here goes...Blast away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billeelou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have only been diving a short while. My gear does not have an octo and I really don't like one banging around. My Ow instructor and several folks who have been diving A LONNNNNNG time have generally dropped theirs ( ie. don't have one)when they are not in a class setting. I have seen too many octos create more problems than they would have prevented. My BC has a mouthpiece and I have used that( on a practice basis)...I understand the buddy principle, have one for your buddy and all, but the two guys I generally go with most of the time carry a "safe second" tank...

Let 'er rip...anyone's thoughts???:wink:

"My BC has a mouthpiece" -- do you mean you have an Air2 or some other integrated secondary regulator? If so, that's not all that odd/abnormal by any means -- in an OOA, the OOA diver would then take your primary second stage and you would shift to the one that's integrated with your BC.

Personally, I have a Shadow+ -- it goes in line with my BC inflator. I just added a normal secondary reg, on a 5' hose, but that's for convenience in working with others -- if I was purely diving recreationally, for myself, I'd only have the Shadow+ and my main second stage (a Maximus).

Suit yourself. Personally, I wouldn't dive with you. The octo is meant as a safe second for your buddy and vice versa, not for your backup. That's what a spare air or pony is for.

i think billeelou is using an inflator-integrated octopus, like markfm says.

if he/she is not, i wouldn't dive with him/her. if something goes wrong, i need
to know i can get air from my buddy

i don't like the inflator-integrated octopus because, God forbid, you
are down to one reg between the two of you, and you have to
buddy-breathe, it's A LOT easier to do it with a hose-mounted reg.

If you are using and AIR2 type octo then you aren't nearly as controversial as you think. If you are truly diving with no other back up to your primary you are just plain stupid. Sorry to be harsh. :11doh:

MarcG:
If you are using and AIR2 type octo then you aren't nearly as controversial as you think. If you are truly diving with no other back up to your primary you are just plain stupid. Sorry to be harsh. :11doh:
Yep.

This is a troll right?

No Octo - I think someone else today said "darwin"

howarde:
This is a troll right?

No Octo - I think someone else today said "darwin"

Diving without an alternate air source? Definitely a top contender for the Darwin Awards.:classic:

I certainly hope you have an integrated second!!! If your diving with people who dont bother with octo's when their outside class, either their lying or you need to find another local dive shop ASAP!!!!!! :no Any other instructors out there who would be willing to pass the same information along to NEW students should be drowned!!! Oh yeah and by the way you dont need a tank either!!!:cwmddd: And as far as "clanking around" what are d-rings for????? How boout a rubber band!!! Hold that ***** up, as if coral or our environmet was a good enough reason to keep yourself as streamlined as possible......:butnhome:
Who were these instructors? Where did you take your course at?? Alright, Enough said
:censored: :banghead: :bash: :soapbox:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom