No Science Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayfromTX:

And yet my Facebook feed is packed with items vilifying liberals/Democrats much the same as some people vilify conservatives/Republicans. As for how 'equivalent' they are, it's true not everyone thinks it's a dead heat. Which helps determine how to vote. But if you want effective, lasting policy, we're probably going to have to at least try to find some consensus positions, some common ground. Seems like publicly shared data might be a place to start.

Richard.

There is no convincing anyone. It is much easier emotionally and intellectually to pick a team. Far too many feel that my team is always right and honest and your team is always wrong and lies. That is in fact what I think the biggest problem with the country is these days. All Republicans are this and all Democrats are that........BS.

If politicians lips are moving they are pandering to someone for something either votes, money or special interests.
The two parties are exactly equivalent!!

If we regulate business out of the US and send it to India and China who don't care about the environment..are you really saving the environment or just moving the problems, costing jobs and ultimately making the planet less clean? There are two sides.

Richard, I see you are working to have an open dialog, good luck.

I work for one of those evil fossil fuel companies. I'm very proud of our environmentally responsible policies and procedures.

I can tell you we EXCEED most if not all environmental regulations for emission and waste production among the HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of regulations we adhere to every day. A healthy environment and happy community is good for business! Modern businesses know this fact.

The image of some greasy cigar smoking fat-cat dumping a barrel of toxic waste into a pristine stream is only really seen in movies these days. (Or done by the government or the smaller local companies) Major corporations can't afford that kind of bad publicity or the fines/jail time.

Is this a good time to mention the Animas River in Colorado?

EPA spill turns Animas River in Colorado a toxic orange - CNN.com

Also...isn't reproducibility the very foundation of scientific method?! It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I learned that in 7th grade. That seems prudent to me.

-Wyatt

That's just it, there is no consesus or common ground. The GOP consistently takes an anti science stance.

Perhaps your whining and bit%hing is better placed in the pub.

It is all about context.

The debate
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxWf5odBSySuSvCjJbjTyJPtAdJQx_BXKCrE3GGY6aOLfnqKlBmw.png

Recent history
Slide1.png

The longer view
sg2wav.jpg

It is a matter of perspective. We have not reached the temperature that let Greenland be settled or the optimum Medieval temperature for Europe. I don't deny the climate is changing, I know that it is, and it is a natural phenomenon. I would like to see the scientific evidence that justifies impoverishing a nation and transfers that wealth to politicians and big business so they, personally, can avoid the effects of said global warming. If there was a go fund me page, instead of government fiat, to stop climate change, I doubt that we would see any of the biggest proponents of climate change put any of their personal wealth into the pot.

Bob
------------------------------
Skeptical

It is a matter of perspective. We have not reached the temperature that let Greenland be settled or the optimum Medieval temperature for Europe. I don't deny the climate is changing, I know that it is, and it is a natural phenomenon. I would like to see the scientific evidence that justifies impoverishing a nation and transfers that wealth to politicians and big business so they, personally, can avoid the effects of said global warming. If there was a go fund me page, instead of government fiat, to stop climate change, I doubt that we would see any of the biggest proponents of climate change put any of their personal wealth into the pot.

I have noticed very little change, but for 20 years or more have heard warnings of catastrophe and doom.

I'm all for reducing pollution, but there's politics all over the science.

Failed predictions and corrupted data from so-called experts is enough for me to dismiss the whole thing and rely on what I see.

I see tax grab and wealth transfer.

Do you honestly believe the Trump admin in particular and Republicans in general have any desire to collaborate on environmental regulations? They want to gut the EPA.

I have debated posting here or not as this seems to be more of a Republican vs. Democrat argument and I do not want to jump into that debate as there will never be a winner and tends to turn ugly.

I will say that I do not agree with some of the rollbacks with the EPA but I do agree with the fact that the Federal Government has become bloated, over regulated and is one of the root causes of our deficit.

POTUS is doing what he has always stated he would do, get rid of many federal agencies in order to "balance the budget" so to speak.

Has anyone looked at a list of Federal agencies? The massive list of agencies is mind-boggling to say the least. I fully believe this country needs to cut back federal agencies.

As for the science surrounding this, IMO if you can't share the science with the the American people then how can you enact a law based on these "secret findings" ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom