No solo diving in overhead environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just some random thoughts..

Who made SDI the arbiter what types of dives can be done solo? My agency "allows" solo cave diving for full cave divers but not intro or apprentice. I have a full cave card. I also have an OW solo card. The scope of the solo training does not include overhead or technical diving. Like someone said, the training is aimed at OW divers with about 100 dives, it is not aimed at technical or cave divers with many hundreds of dives.

Which agency are you referring to?

Does their course book explicitly state that it allows solo cave diving and does it teach solo diving techniques?

Who did you do your OW solo training through?

I would add that a big part of advanceing up the chain is mindset, focus. @ the entry techlevel, many punters have been turned back for failure of mindset, focus. As Bob said, SDI solo is aimed at rec divers who wish to explore solo diving. It is not tec in anyway.

Yes, I solo overhead obligation as well as well as rusty piles of crap on the floor of the Atlantic.
Eric

There are many of us who solo dive caves fairly regularly. Some are tight squeeze fanatics and some just like to enjoy quiet time alone.

If you have training and equipment questions you are focused on the wrong activity. The cave is no place for an untrained, ill equipped diver. Anyone solo diving in them must accept that if they dive alone they may die alone.

There are many much funner ways to go, at least try base jumping while wasted, the last moments will be far less terrifying.

At this stage I'm more focused on what the various certifying agencies say about solo diving in overhead environments.

Actually comments in the book are quite explicit on the matter. I recommend you at least become familiar with them.

It's explicit only in the context of the intended audience. Taken out of that context, it's far from explicit. Very little about diving is "quite explicit" ... which you'll eventually come to understand once you get a bit more experience in a few more different environments. The "correct" answer to almost every question you can ask about scuba diving will begin with the words "It depends" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Why? Why this fixation on agencies and books?

I think the very nature of solo divers makes them... skeptical... of agencies and anyone else for that matter dictating their diving habits. Thats why they dive solo. Also a cultural diffefence. I'm guessing you're stationed in Heidelberg? American cultural issue: dislike of others telling us what we can and can't do.

And for the record, PDIC has instructors who teach the distinctive specialty of solo cave. So some agency does indeed have a curriculum.

I think the very nature of solo divers makes them... skeptical... of agencies and anyone else for that matter dictating their diving habits.

I think that can be said of experienced divers in general ... the more experience you get the more you come to recognize the "holes" in the training you received. This isn't a knock on agencies ... it's simply not possible to cover every contingency. Once you start putting some context around what you learned in a given class you start to realize that the training was simply a framework, and experience helps you learn how to apply the framework in different ways, depending on the circumstances of the dive.

I've yet to take a class that doesn't teach me something I don't agree with, based on my experiences during a dive ... or in hindsight looking back on what I was taught once I've developed enough experience to look at it in the bigger picture of real-world application.

I've brought up this example before ... the book I used for my Open Water class taught me that frog kicking is rarely used in scuba diving, and has limited application. And yet, after about my first year of scuba diving, the frog kick is what I've used about 90% of the time.

So yes, I am ... and I encourage my students to be ... skeptical of what they read in a book. Sure, apply it as stated. But always do so with the mindset that what they are telling you might only apply in a limited circumstance, and you should be prepared to apply different strategies and techniques when those circumstances change.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is something I brought up a couple of pages ago (Post 60, I think). By the time you have true technical training (like a "Full Cave" cert) it's on you to make those decisions. Something I've heard from MANY instructors is that no buddy is better than a bad buddy. If I'm looking for a buddy, and the only one around is a mess....I'll just make the dive solo. I probably won't be doing a Pinnacle dive that day, but I definitely don't see an inherent problem with doing one solo....it's just not in my wheelhouse. Heck, I couldn't do a pinnacle dive in a team as I'd be "the bad buddy."

Does their course book explicitly state that it allows solo cave diving and does it teach solo diving techniques?

This is something you may not be aware of as a rec diver, but any good tech class will (other than maybe GUE) teach solo techniques. As a properly trained tech diver, any dive you can do as a team, you should be able to accomplish alone. A buddy should only be there to make things easier and/or more convenient. You say that at this stage you're more interested in what different agencies say about solo in overhead? Get your Full Cave with a good instructor, and you'll see it's not an agency-specific thing. Your OP was concerning a rec-only diver going into an overhead situation solo. The point posited by many members on this thread has been that as a rec diver, you shouldn't be in any sort of overhead anyway....buddy or not. Dangers you may not have forseen DO exist. If you want everybody to say that what you're doing is great, I don't think you're going to get it. Regardles of the ToS, few people are going to be okay with condoning it. However, like has been said....that's between you and your lungs to decide.

My general rule? If you have to ask.....don't do it.

There are other threads on the pro's and con's of diving solo in an overhead environment. Evidently there are a number of divers on this forum who dive solo in overhead environments. I'm interested to find out the position the teaching agencies have taken on this matter. To that end:

A. Did you do an industry recognized training course for diving in overhead environments.

B. What was the course title and what was the teaching agency.

C. Did the course book state one of its intended aims was to train to you to dive solo in an overhead environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom