No weights with steel tank unsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you need your lungs to create 20-30# bouyancy?
If you need to lift something, take a lift bag with you.
Truth be told, we don't NEED BCD's, it just makes acheiving neutral bouyancy at depth easier.

Because of the potential weight of the gas in his doubles, stages, and deco bottles. He isn't talking about single tank dives.

I was told last weekend that UTD's new official policy is that steel tanks are unsafe with a wet suit.

At a recent instructor training session, one of the instructors almost got into the pool with a wet suit and steel tank and then changed his mind (out loud), which drew a response from Andrew (the director) that indicated that he had been preparing the reprimand.

I was told last weekend that UTD's new official policy is that steel tanks are unsafe with a wet suit.

At a recent instructor training session, one of the instructors almost got into the pool with a wet suit and steel tank and then changed his mind (out loud), which drew a response from Andrew (the director) that indicated that he had been preparing the reprimand.

That sounds like a ridiculously narrow decision as to what is unsafe. In fact it is downright stupid. A more logical rule might be to set a maximum negative bouyancy allowed for a single steel tank, but to ban all steel tanks with wetsuits for recreational diving makes very little sense.

Will they allow diving with steel tanks if someone is just wearing a non bouyant dive skin?

Will they ban steel backplates and aluminum tanks with wetsuits, since that combination can be much more negative than a steel tank?

Will they ban wetsuits? Since it seems that the wetsuits are unsafe, rather than a steel tank because steel tanks will be allowed with dry suits, yes?

That sounds like a ridiculously narrow decision as to what is unsafe. In fact it is downright stupid. A more logical rule might be to set a maximum negative bouyancy allowed for a single steel tank, but to ban all steel tanks with wetsuits for recreational diving makes very little sense.

Will they allow diving with steel tanks if someone is just wearing a non bouyant dive skin?

Will they ban steel backplates and aluminum tanks with wetsuits, since that combination can be much more negative than a steel tank?

Will they ban wetsuits? Since it seems that the wetsuits are unsafe, rather than a steel tank because steel tanks will be allowed with dry suits, yes?

I've just told you all I know. I can't answer your questions.

I think the assumption that you will have a backplate (probably steel) and a STA is part of the decision.

Interesting. I'm sure it will make more sense when the details come out. Considering the stock of the rental fleets in the area, I imagine the majority of divers in the Monterey CA area are diving thick wetsuits (20+lb of buoyancy) with steel tanks (albeit with buoyant BCDs).

Because of the potential weight of the gas in his doubles, stages, and deco bottles. He isn't talking about single tank dives.

But the OP WAS talking about single tank dives

Red Sea - Egypt (salt water), 1 week, different choices of weight :)

me: 1.82/80 kg

gear: bp/w Halcyon, Jetfins, 15L steel tank and 3mm wetsuit.

no weight belt

my buddy:

1.75 / 75 kg

gear: bp/w DSS, Atomic Aquatic split fins, 15L steel tank, 3mm wetsuit

no weight belt

None of us had buoyancy problems u/w without weight belt but for safety at wrecks dive(30-40m, Rosalie Moller, THistlegorm, etc) had +2kg on us just to be 100% sure at the end of the dive we wont have any problems with steel tank being easier BUT on shallow water (15-20-25) we had no weight belt and it was perfect.

Take diving seriously and at the begining of the dive do 1st a buoyancy test. That will help.

I've just told you all I know. I can't answer your questions.

I think the assumption that you will have a backplate (probably steel) and a STA is part of the decision.

Interesting. I'm sure it will make more sense when the details come out. Considering the stock of the rental fleets in the area, I imagine the majority of divers in the Monterey CA area are diving thick wetsuits (20+lb of buoyancy) with steel tanks (albeit with buoyant BCDs).

OK, now I know more.

My initial understanding was not on target for this thread. The restriction is for double steel tanks, not singles. That restriction is specifically for dives during the UTD instructional program. Basically, it means that if you have either instructors or students wearing steel doubles, then they must also be diving dry.

OK, now I know more.

My initial understanding was not on target for this thread. The restriction is for double steel tanks, not singles. That restriction is specifically for dives during the UTD instructional program. Basically, it means that if you have either instructors or students wearing steel doubles, then they must also be diving dry.

Ah, thanks for the update, that makes more sense. I'm sure you already know, but I understand that DIR has frowned upon steel doubles with wetsuits long before UTD (and GUE) existed.

Hi guys. :)

I'm considering purchasing a tank rather than continuously renting partially because I just like to own all my own gear and because the Worthington 130's are really attractive to me being almost the same size as the AL80's yet a lot more air. However, I have a concern about the buoyancy.

I am one of those really negatively buoyant people. Even in my 3mm Pinnacle wetsuit 4lbs is more weight than I need (I'm slightly negatively buoyant without them). Currently in fresh water wearing a Scubapro hybrid shorts/longsleeeved shirt (1mm neoprene front/back) I dive with no weights at all as I honestly don't need it. Even with an AL80 <500psi, I am still negative.

Fortunately I am large chested/lunged and can fairly easily control my buoyancy with breathing, sometimes I need to keep just a touch of air in my Ranger. I don't really have any problems with my buoyancy or controlling it, although I do feel like it's improving constantly and it's something I'm always consciesously working on.

I sink like a rock! :D

So my concern is that with a steel tank I could potentially be "too heavy", but it seems that I'm too heavy anyway all the time so it may be a moot concern.

So as a result, should I not ever purchase and/or dive with a steel tank? Should I just stick to AL since they'll be positive at the end of my dive?

I'm just looking for some additional feedback and opinions, please feel free to share them. I am open to all suggestions. :)

Thanks!

Jeff

130's are a bit on the large side. I dive double steel 100's, and in fresh water I need no additional weight. In salt water I use 8 lbs generally in a dry suit with underwear suitable for 55-70 degree water. I'm a 220 lb guy in decent, but not super shape

Back
Top Bottom