No weights with steel tank unsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heavyjeffd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys. :)

I'm considering purchasing a tank rather than continuously renting partially because I just like to own all my own gear and because the Worthington 130's are really attractive to me being almost the same size as the AL80's yet a lot more air. However, I have a concern about the buoyancy.

I am one of those really negatively buoyant people. Even in my 3mm Pinnacle wetsuit 4lbs is more weight than I need (I'm slightly negatively buoyant without them). Currently in fresh water wearing a Scubapro hybrid shorts/longsleeeved shirt (1mm neoprene front/back) I dive with no weights at all as I honestly don't need it. Even with an AL80 <500psi, I am still negative.

Fortunately I am large chested/lunged and can fairly easily control my buoyancy with breathing, sometimes I need to keep just a touch of air in my Ranger. I don't really have any problems with my buoyancy or controlling it, although I do feel like it's improving constantly and it's something I'm always consciesously working on.

I sink like a rock! :D

So my concern is that with a steel tank I could potentially be "too heavy", but it seems that I'm too heavy anyway all the time so it may be a moot concern.

So as a result, should I not ever purchase and/or dive with a steel tank? Should I just stick to AL since they'll be positive at the end of my dive?

I'm just looking for some additional feedback and opinions, please feel free to share them. I am open to all suggestions. :)

Thanks!

Jeff

Heavy Jeff,

With a steel tank you may have unnecessary weight. However, you will only be too heavy if you cannot safely swim up your rig in the event of a BC failure.

If you are concerned you will be too heavy, then you should try swimming up your rig at the beginning of a dive with a steel tank on

I too prefer a steel tank because it is negatively buoyant when empty. I can swim up my rig at the beginning of a dive, but I also carry a small (20#) SMB to provide some redundancy

Sean

I have considered adding an SMB anyway, so that's a great idea.

I can swim up just fine I'm sure. I'm one of those powerlifter/weightlifter guys built, as my dad says, like a "fire plug". :D

I'm sure I can swim up a few lbs with no issues. But the SMB ! Great idea, I should carry one anyway.

Thanks! :)

It will not be few lbs :) HP130 I believe is 11 or more lb's negative when full. Yes carry something that will let you swim up if BCD fails. My rig is ~15lb negative at the beginning of the dive (double HP100) but I wear a dry suit which gives me backup. + have an SMB or a lift bag. If you dive "bottomless" places, have it in a place where you can access it quickly so if BCD fails you can deploy it quickly.

do not rush to HP130 they make you quite heavy on the back. Try one before you buy it. If you want a lot of gas consider a double setup, doubles are much more stable.

Remember that there is more to the issue that just being able to swim up to the surface - you need to be able to stay at the surface. For example, you come up some distance from the boat and have to wait for a pickup, or the boat leaves you behind, etc etc.

You must have a method of staying positively buoyant at the surface indefinitely. A lift bag or SMB can work, but you might want to try riding on the surface for 30 minutes in 3-footers while holding on to a SMB to see if this is a method you want to count on in an emergency.

I suppose you could just ditch your gear and use the wetsuit for flotation, but that would be really expensive.

I had considered doubles, but it was mostly just a money thing, unfortunately.

What SMB's are you guys carrying for additional backup buoyancy?

So I'm assuming you are saying to to count on a BC failure in this case?

In that case, honestly if it were that life-threatening a situation, I probably would ditch my BC. :(

However, it's definitely excellent food for thought. Thanks! :)

Remember that there is more to the issue that just being able to swim up to the surface - you need to be able to stay at the surface. For example, you come up some distance from the boat and have to wait for a pickup, or the boat leaves you behind, etc etc.

You must have a method of staying positively buoyant at the surface indefinitely. A lift bag or SMB can work, but you might want to try riding on the surface for 30 minutes in 3-footers while holding on to a SMB to see if this is a method you want to count on in an emergency.

I suppose you could just ditch your gear and use the wetsuit for flotation, but that would be really expensive.

I had considered doubles, but it was mostly just a money thing, unfortunately.

What SMB's are you guys carrying for additional backup buoyancy?

Test different tank see which one will work the best for you. It's not always about amount of gas. It's also how this or that tank trims, especially if you want to reach the valve.

I'm waiting for my 80lb lift bag to arrive. Until that it's just plain 6' junkie sausage with I believe 20lb of lift.

I have more than enough lift with my BC, but I don't want to rely only on it. I'm almost neutrally buoyant with my 3mm and no air in my BC, so I'm wondering if I'd be okay with a lift bag in that situation.

Hrm.

Thanks for all the info so far guys. :)

So I'm assuming you are saying to to count on a BC failure in this case?

In that case, honestly if it were that life-threatening a situation, I probably would ditch my BC. :(

However, it's definitely excellent food for thought. Thanks! :)

If you ditch your rig then what???

Back
Top Bottom