No weights with steel tank unsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, Richard. I do appreciate all the information. :)

The foam blocks are something I will definitely look into. With a full AL80 I am almost neutrally buoyant in a 3mm (slightly negative). So giving myself a little lift is a great idea.

Again, thanks for the time and the input, I do appreciate it.

Please remember, it's just my opinion. Not many will agree...

Richard

If I were you, and wanted a 130 cubic ft tank, I would go with the Faber 133.. it is roughly 3 lbs more buoyant than a Worthington HP130.. and three pounds, is well, three pounds.

I use 7mm boots.. regardless of the temperature.. they help with trim, but they add roughly 2 lbs more lbs.. so without a lot of work, you have improved 5 lbs..

So the difference now from a Al 80 is 6 lbs...

If you can get yourself neutral at the start of the dive, you should be good to go...

so you will need something to do that (I normally wear at least a 5mm.. so that would cover it for me..)

While it will be much slower in correcting the problem large quantities of beer should eventually cause you to need additional weight as well.

Foam blocks would have to be syntactic (uncrushable). ON the bright side the STA could be made from that foam and still have enough strength to survive deck impacts. Most inexpensive syntactic foams give about 30 pounds per cubic foot flotation, so whatever buoyancy you get in the water is added weight out of it.

Your SMB if used for additional flotation needs to be a closed or duckbill style bag built to industrial specs like the Carter bags. The light nylon bags are very unreliable if used often.

Foam blocks would have to be syntactic (uncrushable). ON the bright side the STA could be made from that foam and still have enough strength to survive deck impacts.

Thalassamania has mentioned that type of foam before, I think.

So, Fred, are you thinking of making these? :D

I had considered doubles, but it was mostly just a money thing, unfortunately.

What SMB's are you guys carrying for additional backup buoyancy?

Dive rite makes a SMB that has 30 pounds of lift and folds into its own pouch. I have the same issue with my steel tanks at the end of the dive I am still about 5-6 pounds to heavy but its worth the trade off

Hahha, yeah well... I think my extracurricular activities in the gym would make it take even longer. :D

TC:
While it will be much slower in correcting the problem large quantities of beer should eventually cause you to need additional weight as well.

Looking into that now, thanks. :)

Dive rite makes a SMB that has 30 pounds of lift and folds into its own pouch. I have the same issue with my steel tanks at the end of the dive I am still about 5-6 pounds to heavy but its worth the trade off

I wear the Scubapro 5mm molded sole boots now, I don't always wear a wetsuit as I'm very hot-natured and even with just the Scubapro Hybrid gear on, I'm plenty warm in 75F water (it being 100F+ in Texas probably helps that along too).

I will definitely look into the Faber, thanks for the info there.

In a 3mm wetsuit with no gear, I'm still slightly negatively buoyant. I do not own any other wetsuit as all of the diving here is fairly warm water (the coldest is about 72F).

Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciate it. :)

If I were you, and wanted a 130 cubic ft tank, I would go with the Faber 133.. it is roughly 3 lbs more buoyant than a Worthington HP130.. and three pounds, is well, three pounds.

I use 7mm boots.. regardless of the temperature.. they help with trim, but they add roughly 2 lbs more lbs.. so without a lot of work, you have improved 5 lbs..

So the difference now from a Al 80 is 6 lbs...

If you can get yourself neutral at the start of the dive, you should be good to go...

so you will need something to do that (I normally wear at least a 5mm.. so that would cover it for me..)

While the chances of something happening are incredibly unlikely, I still feel much better having that "last resort" plan to get me to the surface. I would like to integrate a bit more weight into my system (tanks, etc.), but even so would like minimum 10lbs or so releasable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom