NOAA's equipment specs after the Healy ice diving deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOAA DIVING SAFETY BOARD
RECOMMENDED ACTIONS RELATED TO THE USCGC HEALY DIVING INCIDENT
1. NDC should begin developing comprehensive written standards and procedures for blue-water and linetended diving, diving in overhead and confined-space environments, and cold water diving environments. Until such standards are developed, anyone desiring to perform such activities must submit a dive plan to the NOAA Diving Center (NDC) for review and approval prior to the start of dive operations. *
2. Revise the NOAA diving regulations (NAO 209-123) to require a topside person, capable and ready to render immediate assistance, to be on-site for all diving operations unless otherwise authorized by
the Unit Diving Supervisor or their designee.
3. NDC to create a training module on diving regulations and operations and present it at the bi-annual command officer’s refresher training session in Kings Point, NY.
4. NDC will purchase and issue DUI weighting systems to all drysuit divers.**
5. Require the use of buoyancy compensators and DUI weighting systems when diving drysuits. ***
6. Limit the maximum amount of weight authorized to be used in weight-integrated buoyancy compensators to 16 pounds.
7. Prohibit the use of split fins for diving when heavy loads or high currents may be encountered or
when wearing a drysuit.
8. Personnel from the NDC will conduct an on-site dive locker inspection of all 18 NOAA ships beginning
immediately and then every 3-years thereafter. **
9. NDC complete replacement of all Scubapro regulators with new Oceanic model for all NOAA divers diving in <50º F water temperature.**
10. Allow NOAA Corps Officers to remain on dive orders and perform proficiency dives during shore assignments. **
11. Request that the Director, NOAA Marine and Aviation Operations Centers reinforce the need and requirement for NMAO ships to provide time for divers to maintain diving proficiency per NAO 209-123.
12. Dive plans be mandatory for all &#8220;working dives&#8221; on all NMAO ships. The plans are to be written
and filed with the Field Operations Officer (FOO) or Dive Officer prior to diving.
13. NDC to work with Commissioned Personnel Center to identify gaps in vessel dive complements.

Items 1,2,5,6,7,12 are effective immediately and all NOAA divers are expected to comply as written.
* Form can be found on the NDC website with the title &#8220;Special Ops Dive Plan Sheet&#8221;
** Funding dependent
*** Mandatory for all NOAA divers that have been issued DUI weighting systems and received training in
their use with drysuits and BCDs
If there are any questions on these issues, please contact LT Eric Johnson at eric.t.johnson@noaa.gov. Thank you

I think the DUI weight system requirement for drysuit divers is interesting, as is the prohibition against split fins for drysuit divers and situations with high loads or currents.

Not being a cold water diver, can someone explain to me why the regulations call for replacement of Scubapro regs with Oceanic regs for water temps <50 deg.? What is the design advantage? Just curious. Thanks, Chris

C Chris:
Not being a cold water diver, can someone explain to me why the regulations call for replacement of Scubapro regs with Oceanic regs for water temps <50 deg.? What is the design advantage? Just curious. Thanks, Chris

They didn't specify what models were being used, so there isn't a clear answer for this... but most likely they are going to an environmentally sealed regulator which is supposed to be better in cold water.

(However, there is another interesting thread on DecoStop that even one of the equipment manufacturers states that an environmentally sealed reg will freeze up just as fast as an unsealed reg).

I have a feeling this is more of an equipment change. NOAA had a negative experience with ScubaPro products a while back and prob just wanted to get away from their gear and move to a different brand regulator.

C Chris:
What is the design advantage?
I was wondering that myself. I've done lots of cold water dives, and several ice dives. As far as I know, ScubaPro regs have a good reputation for resisting freeflow.

hmmm...

6. Limit the maximum amount of weight authorized to be used in weight-integrated buoyancy compensators to 16 pounds.

with an Al80 tank and 400g thinsulate this may not be sufficient -- particularly if the drysuit is neoprene.

4. NDC will purchase and issue DUI weighting systems to all drysuit divers.**

is someone at NOAA getting kickbacks from DUI?

7. Prohibit the use of split fins for diving when heavy loads or high currents may be encountered or when wearing a drysuit.

*chuckle*

lamont:
with an Al80 tank and 400g thinsulate this may not be sufficient -- particularly if the drysuit is neoprene.

The way I read it is that the 16lbs are limited on the BCD. The rest of the weight will be on the DUI weight system.

lamont:
Are they limiting the weight or just limiting the non-ditchable weight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom