Non canister lights for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to take my cavern cert and I have heard from a few instructors that the Dive Rite 500 or similiar (a ~9 watt led non-canister) is the best way to go for a new cave diver.

What are your opinions? I am trying to decide between the Dive Rite 500 and and the Salvo 21 watt led light. The Dive Right 500 sounds great from a travel stand point and a price point.

Why not grab a used 10w HID for $300-350, try cavern diving, and if you like it, once you have some experience, then make your decision? I think you may find that the tiny battery packs make tucking the long hose more tricky.

Well, I think it might depend in part on whether you think you will go on to do any cave diving. If so, buy the Salvo. If you do any diving in low viz/low light conditions, buy the Salvo. If you do any diving where you run line or need a hand free (eg. scootering) buy the Salvo.

Heck, just buy the Salvo. You won't regret it. My Salvo is hands-down my favorite piece of gear.

Well, I think it might depend in part on whether you think you will go on to do any cave diving. If so, buy the Salvo. If you do any diving in low viz/low light conditions, buy the Salvo. If you do any diving where you run line or need a hand free (eg. scootering) buy the Salvo.

Heck, just buy the Salvo. You won't regret it. My Salvo is hands-down my favorite piece of gear.

Hmmm....Time to sell my 10W Hid's from Dive-Rite??? :confused:
(Just kidding)

Jean

If you are doing cavern diving a big primary light isn't really needed,especially if you are unsure you'll want to do more considering you live quite a ways from most caverns. I would recommend the Intova LED (:: INTOVA ::) ,it will cost you between $45-50,it is very bright,and if you decide to go further it will make an excellent back up light.

I am also in search of a HID/LED for my intro to cave.

I have looked at the dive rite slim line 10W and the Salvo.

A Cave instructor's recommendation to me this past weekend was to rent a couple of lights, try different ones before plopping down $400-$500 for a light. I was looking at Salvo till I saw the Velcro strap on the Dive Rite. My hands are small and were dwarfed by the metal goodman handle of the salvo. My buddy liked the velcro strap and said he might try and mount it to his wrist.

But just for cavern, get a couple of good backup lights, I have the Salvo 3W and a Pelican. I think I like the Pelican better than the salvo only because it has a toggle on and off which is easy to operate with one hand vs the salvo which has a turning head to turn on and off which requires 2 hands to operate.....

Last edited:
The best thing to do would be to rent entill you know if you really like it. I rented for Cavern and after I took Basic I had to buy one.

I own and have used both. They are both excellent lights with plusses and minuses.

Dive Rite 500 LED
Pros: * Operates on 8 AA batteries, these are easy to find no matter where you are.
* Long Burn time. Something like 12 hours at full power and then dropping down in power
up to 30 hours
* Equivalent brightness to Dive Rite 10w HID. (My buddy dives with the HID and our lights
were pretty evenly matched)
* Price - Significantly cheaper than the 21w Salvo.
Cons: * Not as bright as the Salvo 21w
* Light head is actually larger than the 21w Salvo.
* Twist to turn on/off rather than switch.
* Corded option allows you to use just like any other canister light, but you need to buy
either the goodman handle or the elastic handle separately.

Salvo 21w LED
Pros: * Lights up the cave/cavern like the sun..ok not really the sun, but is significantly brighter
than the DR 500 LED.
* Smaller light head than the DR 500 LED.
* Switch to turn on rather than twist.
* Excellent battery life. Option of 4+ or 6+ hour canister.
* Comes with both Goodman handle and elastic handle.

Cons: * Price is significatly more than the DR 500 LED (almost 3X more).
* Battery cost is much more than AA's, so if you want an extra, it's gonna cost you.
* Although run time is good compared to HID's, it is still low compared to DR 500 LED.
(This can usually be a non-issue, as long as you plan correctly)

To address a few of the other comments:
* I've never had a problem tucking my cord behind the DR 500 LED canister.
* You don't "need" a tremendously bright light for cavern, but you will be able to see a lot more.
* Renting is a GREAT suggestion, so that you can try out a number of different options before you buy.

Finally, if you have the money, one suggestion to look at is the Salvo 12w LED with the cord and handle. It is definitely brighter than the DR 500 LED, and costs about 1/2 of the 21w Salvo.

As much as I hate to say anything bad about Salvo products, there have been some apparent electronics issues with the LED can lights. I'm holding off even thinking about one until it's clear they're solved.

It IS really nice that you can rent can lights in cave country. Renting and using something does give you a lot more information about whether you like it well enough to pay for it. We can't rent them here in the PNW, so we just have to grit our teeth and go for it :)

As much as I hate to say anything bad about Salvo products, there have been some apparent electronics issues with the LED can lights. I'm holding off even thinking about one until it's clear they're solved.

There were some reports of lights acting erratically when the LED lights first came out. I believe, it was determined that this was caused by the multiple power setting feature. This feature is no longer being used. My 21w LED has a on/off switch just like the HID's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom