Non canister lights for cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were issues with the 12 LEDs too--I had one. It was fixed promptly and I haven't seen any mention of problems for a couple of months now. As for the Velcro strap on the Goodman handle, my Salvo came with one and I hated it, and ended up just holding the light in whichever hand. It was just too much hassle to use when switching light hands. When they fixed my Salvo, they sent me a metal Goodman handle, which is much nicer.

trixxie, the salvos come with a metal goodman and an elastic strap holder - just fyi! :wink:

I have a dive rite 500 LED that I use as my back up and I have a Dive rite 10 watt HID that I use as a primary (I mostly wreck dive).

The LED has a nice, even and reasonably wide beam compared to the HID, but it is not nearly as intense, does not penetrate as well and is not visible for as long a distance as the HID. So if I was just going to get one, I'd buy a used 10 watt HID for the same $300 or so the Dive Rite LED would cost.

I do like the 500's 20 hour full power burn time and the step down to 2/3rd then 1/3rd power over 8 more hours or so before the lights go out. You have to be really clueless to run the battery dead. Long burn time and idiot proofing are both nice features in a backup light.

But just for cavern, get a couple of good backup lights, I have the Salvo 3W and a Pelican. I think I like the Pelican better than the salvo only because it has a toggle on and off which is easy to operate with one hand vs the salvo which has a turning head to turn on and off which requires 2 hands to operate.....

1. Get a goodman handle. Carrying a dive light leaves one hand entirely useless for other tasks such as reel work...if you get a backup light, then buy/build/fabricate in some way a goodman type handle for it. It makes a difference...yes, you can dive with out it, but I really like having that hand free. :)

2. Salvo 12 watt has the twist on/off head. The 21 watt LED has a toggle just like most any other HID canister light.

3. I hated the velcro goodman handle. But I have had people tell me I'm an idiot for finding it difficult to use. I love my hard goodman handle.

4. I hate Salvo's pop on handle design on the 12 watt LED head. But I have had people tell me I'm an idiot for finding it difficult to use and easy to knock off and lose. I love the bungee I ran through the slots on the sides of the hard goodman to help hold on the head--it doubles as a great place to store arrows and cookies :)

5. Marchand on this board has a nifty LED modification for the UK SL4 and SL6 which is frickin' bright. His 10 watt HID failed on exit one day and he switched to a backup, and I just assumed he was a few feet further behind me than he really was, because that sucker puts out a lot of light. If you are thinking about just going with a backup style light, pm him and see if he's still got one of the LED things. Just drops right into the UK lights (I know it fits an SL4 and SL6, not sure what else it might fit) and it really surprised me how bright that sucker was.

Enjoy your class no matter what you end up using!!!

3. I hated the velcro goodman handle. But I have had people tell me I'm an idiot for finding it difficult to use. I love my hard goodman handle.

Where did you get a hard goodman for your Salvo 12w LED? from Salvo? I have the same light and I would like to switch to a hard goodman on mine

Thank

Sean

If you are doing cavern diving a big primary light isn't really needed,especially if you are unsure you'll want to do more considering you live quite a ways from most caverns. I would recommend the Intova LED (:: INTOVA ::) ,it will cost you between $45-50,it is very bright,and if you decide to go further it will make an excellent back up light.

Best advice in the thread. Goodman handles are convenient, but if you cant perform cave diving tasks without one what are you going to do when all you have to work with is a backup light.

Er , I do this all the time.
If I am using a backup-light , I just stuff it into the sleeve of my wetsuit thingie and It works just a primary :D
(of course at a much lower brightness level than dat HID ... But it works just fine)

Of course , this DOES NOT WORK on a drysuit. But leave it to me to try something like that.

I can then point the backup light wherever and still have my fingies free.
But I find no problem with holding a backup in my left hand and my primary on my right. But I use a Dive-Rite with the velcro strap. I've gotten so used to it that my muscle memory would have a real problem with a REAL Goodman handle. (EEK) :confused:

Jean

Where did you get a hard goodman for your Salvo 12w LED? from Salvo? I have the same light and I would like to switch to a hard goodman on mine

Thank

Sean

Salvo has the metal Goodman handles. I don't know how much they cost--mine came gratis when they repaired my new light.

I would look at a used 10W HID from either Salvo, Halcyon or Diverite. While you probably could dive with a handheld light through cavern and even intro, it would not be much fun seeing just a fraction of the cave. If you are unsure, rent one.

Buying a handheld light with the expectation that you will be happily cave diving with it in 2 years is a recipe for disappointment and dashed expectations. A used 10W HID will serve you and your budget much better for much longer.

And when you're totally hooked and just have to upgrade, the 10W will sit faithfully on your shelf as a backup primary light.

I am about to take my cavern cert and I have heard from a few instructors that the Dive Rite 500 or similiar (a ~9 watt led non-canister) is the best way to go for a new cave diver.

What are your opinions? I am trying to decide between the Dive Rite 500 and and the Salvo 21 watt led light. The Dive Right 500 sounds great from a travel stand point and a price point.

Purchase what you want and like, I have canister lights and the DR 500 LED and I like both. I have found lately that I use the DR 500 LED more than the others that I have. It's plenty enough light for cave diving and you can put a goodman handle on them. I really like the fact that I don't have an extra cord on me from the light, and that I don't have to recharge it. Remember that some of these divers on here are freshly completed intro divers and have not experienced anything but canister lights in the cave. I would listen really good to people like Daedalus, KarstDiver, Jeano Beano, OneBrightGator, and a few others since these are the people who dive the caves on a regular basis. I dive at least once a week and these guys are always there diving, when they give you advice, it's based on experience. Dive safe, good luck with the class and follow your instructors advice most importantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom