Non DIR doubles rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd lobby against using the long hose on the left post as a secondary. It won't deploy properly.

In fact, it deploys better from the left side because you eliminate the need to turn the 2nd stage over in order to avoid it being upside down.

When I learned in 1984 literally everyone was routing the octopus from the left for this reason. I don't know why but for some reason having both 2nd stages on the right has become a norm -- despite being the more clumsy option -- and nobody thinks to question it.

R..

Out of genuine curiosity, how would you donate to an OOA buddy if the longer hose and reg are on a necklace?
They do have those rubber necklaces I saw a video with Brian cant remember his last name but was setting up a side mount rig with long hose on a rubber necklace and he could donate that it just pulls off the necklace I believe highland makes them. I have one but have gone to a bungee style necklace.

As for the doubles I found a set of steel 67LP 1800 psi they are light and if they are filled to 2000 psi its volume is almost a set of double AL80s. I recently have them as singles for my younger kids that are learing to dive they are easy for them to carry and trim out nicely.

I dive them like I do any other set of doubles in a "DIR" configuration. Many others I dive with use those 50s for shore dives with all the stairs here in SoCal

In fact, it deploys better from the left side because you eliminate the need to turn the 2nd stage over in order to avoid it being upside down.

When I learned in 1984 literally everyone was routing the octopus from the left for this reason. I don't know why but for some reason having both 2nd stages on the right has become a norm -- despite being the more clumsy option -- and nobody thinks to question it.

R..

For technical diving, having it on the left post means the hose crosses under a diver which is bad. It shortens the effective length of the hose considerably, causes torque in the mouth as it is being pulled, and floats up into one of the divers legs which can cause more problems than you are already in. If you are able to swim next to each other, or plan to ascent face to face then it is better, but in order to standardize for overheads, you have to have the hose coming from the same side of the first stage as the inlet to the second stage *i.e. "standard" needs to be right post, and if you have a backwards regulator with a left feed, then it should come from the left*. You also have stage/deco bottles on the left side and you wouldn't be able to donate properly with all that stuff there.
For recreational diving, it also clutters your left side which already has your spg/console, inflator, and dump valve so your left hand and side has enough to deal with.
The third and arguably most important reason is that while the S-bend is annoying, you can't actually use a right fed regulator on a necklace or in your mouth when it comes from the left side. If you subscribe to primary donate, which you should, then you have to donate from the mouth. That can't happen with a right handed regulator on the left side of the body unless you have it come up from under your shoulder, then around the back of your neck which would be fine, but again, your left side has a bunch of stuff there already.

They do have those rubber necklaces I saw a video with Brian cant remember his last name but was setting up a side mount rig with long hose on a rubber necklace and he could donate that it just pulls off the necklace I believe highland makes them. I have one but have gone to a bungee style necklace.

Hope it doesn't pull the mouthpiece off in the process.

Thanks for all the great info and comments. Maybe I'll revisit the long hose thing but I would still rather go without it- although there is no question it is the best solution for any sort of penetration/overhead diving- which I just don't do any of now! All my dives are warm clear water and non-deco. The necklaces I use are the silicone rubber ones that are secure enough but the second stage comes free with a gentle tug and given a choice I would donate that to an OOA diver, if they grab my primary then I still have the secondary on the necklace where I can reach it in an instant.
Re- using three second stages rather than two. I currently dive with a single tank and a pony or bailout (depending on the dive) and that's already two cylinders and three second stages so the only difference is that the alternative reg will drain gas from my main gas source in event that it freeflows, but then that's why the isolation manifold!
The left side second stage would be clipped to the lower left harness (an Apeks Egress) and is there for me only in the event that my primary first stage stops working for some unlikely reason. The right side remains the main source of gas for myself and any donation- as per a typical single tank rig.
Still thinking about it!

I would definitely not bother with three second stages, and I'd just go to primary donate with short hoses. Nothing wrong with that. Before my TMJ got bad, I used to use a 40" on an elbow when diving doubles, but no longer due to jaw problems.

20170618-Gorji_IMG_5591.jpg
Here is a so so picture of my rig and the hoses. I agree with others: a long hose for primary and a short one necklaced for the backup. I love my double LP50s.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom