Non Drift Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't most of the Palancar sites offer plenty of chances to get behind a large coral formation and rest? Then ease back into the current.

Palancar Gardens come to mind as well as any of the "Shallows", however, there is no guarantee that on a given day that the Captain and Divemaster will go to those spots. In general, unless there is a chartered trip to a specific location, the dive sites, with the first tank being around 80 feet, the second tank at 60-40 feet, are chosen by polling the divers with final approval from the captain and divemaster. Unless you can get a chartered/or confirmed choice of dive site ahead of time from a dive op, perhaps you should hire a private divemaster for your dives. With a private divemaster, you and your wife should be able to at the least determine your depth and time of your dive if you find the current not to your liking. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise and dive vacation ! Double S

Simply put. You personally have no control on where the boat will be going that day unless you either a) charter the boat for yourself only, or book with an op that says Monday's we dive x and Tuesday's we dive y. And even then, you have no certainty that on that day, at that time, there will not be current. Maybe Cozumel isn't the place for your wife? Nothing wrong with that!

---------- Post added February 23rd, 2015 at 08:34 PM ----------

Wouldn't most of the Palancar sites offer plenty of chances to get behind a large coral formation and rest? Then ease back into the current.
That still means current through the dive which, apparently, the wife dislikes.

That still means current through the dive which, apparently, the wife dislikes.

As often happens, why did the wife not like it? Was it a flat site with high current? Was it a wall dive with current and no places to stop and look at stuff?

Of course, it helps if the DM is conversant with drift diving. Yesterday our second dive was at Paso de Cedral. I would describe the current as moderate. So as we were lazily drifting along, not having to kick, I watched a group of divers passing us, being doggedly led by their DM in the OTHER direction, against the current. After watching this for a minute or so, I turned to my DM and gave the hand signal for "loco". But I bet they all slept well after that workout though.

However, I couldn't help thinking of this thread, and some poor cruise ship person saying to her husband afterwards "I hate drift diving."

Last edited:
Of course, it helps if the DM is conversant with drift diving. Yesterday our second dive was at Paso de Cedral. I would describe the current as moderate. So as we were lazily drifting along, not having to kick, I watched a group of divers passing us, being doggedly led by their DM in the OTHER direction, against the current. After watching this for a minute or so, I turned to my DM and gave the hand signal for "loco". But I bet they all slept well after that workout though.

However, I couldn't help thinking of this thread, and some poor cruise ship person saying to her husband afterwards "I hate drift diving."

Isn't a DM swimming their group into a current just a standard tactic DM's use on unwitting divers to end dives early and just get everyone back on the boat ASAP ?

You could always do the shore dive at the Blue Angel. There is current but not enough to where you cant stop, one might have to kick a little.

Isn't a DM swimming their group into a current just a standard tactic DM's use on unwitting divers to end dives early and just get everyone back on the boat ASAP ?
I don't know what was going on in this case. Maybe there was a good reason (although it escapes me now). But I bet they blew through their air more quickly than if they had let the current do the work..

Thank you everyone for the input. Originally we scheduled a dive with the cruise ship directly, but Royal Caribbean canceled the day's excursion before the trip and we ended up arranging a two tank dive with an outfitter (forget the name right now) and when we go to the pickup we ended up being the ONLY couple on the charter as the other 4 cancelled at the last minute. It was a GREAT experience as far as charters go IMHO. The dive was fairly straight forward and the current was, again IMHO, moderate to calm. I think the issue with my wife was that she was trying to fight the current too much to explore, rather then drift. Toward the end of the dive her air supply was almost depleted at the safety stop as well.. i think it put her slightly out of her comfort zone.. I hope to convince her that it might be worth another shot

Problem solved, use Aldora. With their steel 120's she will never run out of air. :) Do Palancar Gardens and Columbia shallows - I LOVE getting 90 minutes in on C Shallows.....such a perfect dive since the current there is just moving enough to barely push you along at the perfect pace. LOVE that dive!

Just avoid the sites where the current can get moving like Santa Rosa, Tunich, Cedral etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom