Non professional divers taking very young children diving (even in a pool)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Climbing is probably more risky than diving and is self regulated without the undue presence of "professionals". Mentoring plays a huge role in that activity. Why don't we see government cracking down on those amateurs. In fact, the only place "professionals" position themselves in the day to day activity cycle is artificial walls and sport climbing... again because they control access to the equipment. Yet there is a real professional class of climber. They are called guides and, if people require one, they get hired and provide a service. What they don't do is suggest that people can't engage in all aspects of climbing without them. In climbing it seems there is a live and let live philosophy, partly because the professional class knows they can't inflict themselves on climbers - they would become marginalized. Instead, they respect the intelligence of climbers and offer their services as an alternative, if the climber wants it.

BRD, I don't think there won't be a need for professionals, like you said, there just won't be the same unearned access to customers. Good shops and instructors will have to prove value and provide service that respects the consumer.

I don't think that there will ever come the day that professional training is not needed. The debate will always be where to draw the line where professional involvement will be required and where not. We are self regulated for the most part. The most successful aspect is the need for that piece of plastic to engage in diving or get selected services. That should never stop. Perhaps it can use some improving but for the most part it is a pretty good system. As others have mentioned we do not want to get into the business of your too fat. the vis is too bad, the water is too cold for you, your a smoker ect. Especially now when you can mary jane your self up legally. And that is one issue the industry will eventully have to take up. Im surprised that there has not been some thread dealing with that subject matter. The thread would start similar to this one. A guy came in smoked up and wanted 4 tanks of nitrox so his pot party can dive the dam wall.

So you would ban people from fixing their cars at home? Only magical mechanics that cost over 100 an hour can touch my car? Or its only okay if a professional teaches them. So my dad shouldn't of worked on tractors and trucks with me because he isn't a journeymen mechanic. Man if only the scuba police could start helping people in all the aspects of our lives. No more unlicensed swimming lessons or water pump fixes.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
You really do need to carefully read my post. In a nutshell I deal day in and day out with people who "have a go" at fixing stuff.
It used to be a great income stream fixing their muck ups.

You really do need to carefully read my post. In a nutshell I deal day in and day out with people who "have a go" at fixing stuff.
It used to be a great income stream fixing their muck ups.

when I worked in a garage years ago as a kid, we had a sign in our shop that read "shop rate is $60/hr...$120 if you want to help" :)

I guess we are different in that regard. I do not fear diving and feel very natural when I do it. I have learned a technique that allows me to do so week in and week out and as long as I adhere to few simple parameters I don't think much can really go wrong, outside circumstances I don't control (great white attack, heart attack etc...).

How do you know when you have stepped over the line from confidence to complacency? I like the idea that a little fear is healthy and keeps me well away from the line. Fear creates my buffer zone. Yes, I suppose we are different in that regard.

Again, the disdain is not against professionals et al. It is against the notion that they have a "rite" to regulate the behavior of others or that only they have the capacity for correct instruction. In the OP's case the debate is whether she overstepped her boundaries by foisting her belief of what was right onto a customer by denying them a service they were otherwise legally entitled to obtain. There is no mandate for a professional to do this, it was a choice.

I thought this was covered extensively earlier in the thread. (That was an attempt at humor--I think we all see that this thread is going around in circles.) My position on this issue is that a business has the right to refuse to do business with a potential customer for any reason the business in its discretion so chooses, so long as it's not something prohibited by law to discriminate on the basis of. That is the law everywhere, as far as I know. In the OP's case, the potential customer was not "legally entitled" to a service, as you put it. Now, the accepted practice in the industry is for a shop to require no more than a c-card, a tank in hydro/vis, etc.--that has nothing to do with legal entitlement. A shop has an economic motivation to not ask for more, and the potential customer has an economic motivation not to divulge more. This economic motivation should be enough to keep this practice working smoothly for both shops and divers. But as I have said before, once the potential customer opens his big fat mouth and discloses to the dive shop he plans to do something other than personally use the gear to go diving in whatever way is conventional, then I believe the shop now is forced to make a decision as to how it plans to minimize potential risk arising from the disclosure. As I have said above, the shop now faces a dilemma. The shop now possesses the information, and a lawyer might try to use that against the shop if there is ever a lawsuit. Sure, the shop could bet on that not happening--that is one option. The risk is pretty low, we all seem to agree. The shop could go ahead and do business with the customer, and hope that some lawyer doesn't try to argue that the shop's practice is to assume some sort of extra duty of care by performing their own special analysis on a customer's situation, and that in the case at issue the shop failed to meet that duty. But I do not think it is out of line for a shop that has extra information thrust upon them by a potential customer to think about it for a second and make a decision one way or the other. "What is the likelihood of someone getting injured from this?" "What is the likelihood that using what he's told me to make a decision will be raised in a lawsuit?" "How much business might I lose if I choose not to do business with him?" I just don't see how one can fault a business for thinking it through and making a decision. Any type of business would normally do this. Should dive shops rely on the c-card system to shield them completely? It might shield them in some cases but maybe not others. Who knows. None of us has a crystal ball.

If we say it is the instructors duty to interject, where does it end? When they see an obese diver? An old diver? A solo diver? A smoking diver? An OW diver who says they are going to dive a site that is more than 60' deep? And what about maintaining those same standards. If I see an old, obese instructor can I have his license revoked to prevent him/her from engaging in their activity?

I never said there was a "duty to interject." As I said above, I think self-interest usually takes care of everything. But as far as the question of "where does it end," I don't know where it ends. Life is full of gray areas. I see obese and old divers all the time out there. In the US, we see dive industry professionals knowingly allowing OW divers to exceed the PADI recommendation of 60 feet all the time. If I were an instructor or business owner or whatever, I suppose I would try to think of how likely it is that someone suing me would be able to prove that it's the norm in the industry to not deal with obese or old divers, or allow a mere OW diver to exceed 60 feet, or whatever, and I suppose I would conclude that that is unlikely. Now, what if a potential customer walked in and was not only old and obese but was wheezing and coughing up blood? Maybe there is no duty to keep him from hurting himself, but I might intervene anyway. What if the potential customer was frothing at the mouth, waving a speargun, and ranting maniacally about spearing the invading commandos down at the beach? I think everyone has to make difficult decisions now and then. Fortunately for us, the difficult decisions are mostly theoretical. Rarely does anything like this happen. In the OP's case, the risk of anyone getting injured was low, the decision could have gone either way, and I would not indulge in Monday morning quarterbacking over it.

How do you know when you have stepped over the line from confidence to complacency? I like the idea that a little fear is healthy and keeps me well away from the line. Fear creates my buffer zone. Yes, I suppose we are different in that regard.

For some people, a little fear is complacency.

I never said there was a "duty to interject."
But the words you choose are showing you want to interject your values and morals... :D

I think self-interest usually takes care of everything.
Because according to you if it does not take care of everything...

If I were an instructor or business owner or whatever, I suppose I would try to think of how likely it is that someone suing me would be able to prove that it's the norm in the industry to not deal with obese or old divers, or allow a mere OW diver to exceed 60 feet, or whatever, and I suppose I would conclude that that is unlikely. Now, what if a potential customer walked in and was not only old and obese but was wheezing and coughing up blood? Maybe there is no duty to keep him from hurting himself, but I might intervene anyway.
Only using your own words...

This is what most of us fear - losing our liberties because someone else needs or wants to determine our own fate... And I dont like that behavior or thought process... To me that is dangerous because as we have stated before - that slippery slope is difficult to back track.

Give me Liberty or give me Death - Patrick Henry 1775 - even back then it had meaning... :D

For some people, a little fear is complacency.

This went right past me. If you would like me to understand, you'll need to explain it to me. I see the word "complacency" used on SB often, and it always seems to be used in the context of someone who appeared to be fearless.

But the words you choose are showing you want to interject your values and morals... :D

What words were those? I don't think that reminding people that not everyone on the planet knows what's best for himself is either a "value" or a "moral." I think it's a fact.

Because according to you if it does not take care of everything...

Sorry, you lost me with the disjointed quotes. By "self-interest" usually taking care of everything, I was referring to each party to a business transaction protecting his own interest by not disclosing any more information than is necessary to meet the other party's minimum requirements, like possession of a valid c-card. There will be times when a person may act out of motivations other than self interest. It is very common in the world, and I don't see why it should be frowned upon in the context of the dive industry. Everyone is going to draw a line somewhere, depending on his own judgment. None of us would hesitate to do business with an obese or old diver. But would you not step in to prevent a murder or suicide, as in my example?

Your reference to "liberties" makes no sense to me, since the people who these days make a ruckus about losing their liberties are usually the same ones who make a ruckus about the government impinging on their freedom to conduct their business as they see fit. The way I see it, a dive shop declining to do business with a potential customer is very much exercising their liberties. No law is twisting their arm to do business with someone they choose not to. Patrick Henry had nothing to say about transactions between private individuals/businesses--he was concerned about government taking away liberties.

What words were those? I don't think that reminding people that not everyone on the planet knows what's best for himself is either a "value" or a "moral." I think it's a fact.
So then - you are clearly saying "I might intervene anyway" - which means "you are going to draw a line somewhere, depending on your judgment."

But I am saying - This is not a call you get to make and think it is ok with me... I am saying if you owned a business I would not be coming back to find out what else you may have issue with and I would be telling my friends...

Patrick Henry had nothing to say about transactions between private individuals/businesses--he was concerned about government taking away liberties.
So you do not see a parallel in this example? :D Replace government with Lorenzoid Incorporated...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom