Noob BCD question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guitar_lord

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

Im looking at buying a BCD. Im brand new in the sport of scuba and I had some questions

What is the difference between a regular BCD and a BP/W?
(I see everyone talking about BP/W and I have no idea what it is)

if somone could help a poor noob out Id appreciate it.
Thanks - Brian :14:

There have literally dozens of threads regarding that comparison. Just scroll through a few pages in this forum and you're bound to find at least one...

i dont want to start a war but why do people get mad at people starting a same thread whats the big deal its nice to see different threads on this type of thing so other people can read about different products instead of just having like 2 threads and making people find them and reading what people have to say on like one but i could be talking out of my *** again.

Ive been looking through the BCD threads for the last hour while being at work and I see lots with BP/W in them, but no definition

BP/W = Backplate & Wing

Basicly, a bp/wing is a modular system composed of a metal plate that's bent so it's comfortable and bolts don't jab you in the back when it's assembled, a BC gas bladder that gets sandwiched between your tank and the plate, and a harness that holds the rig securely to the diver.

They work well with single tanks or doubles, and it's easy to change to a different sized wing if you switch (for example) from diving steel doubles in a drysuit to diving with a single aluminium tank in the tropics.

Harnesses can be complex with lots of adjustment points and quick releases, or a simple "hogarthian" harness that's basicly a single piece of 2" webbing with a buckle and some D-rings.

For single tank diving, some plates allow the user to run cam bands right through the plate, and others use a "single tank adaptor" (STA) that bolts to the plate through specially placed holes in the wing, and to which the cam bands hold your tank. For doubles, the tank bands bolt through the same holes the STA would use, and hold the tanks very securely in place.

Here's a picture: http://www.dktechgear.dk/catalog/images/DTD-PakE.jpg

A backplate/wing is merely one type of BC. In it's simpliest form (keep it simple when possible) it is a modular system composed of a back plate, an air bladder and nylon webbing. When put together properly, it is an excellent BC.

Would that be considered "Better" then the jacket style of BCD?
Ive been looking at the Mares Dragon BCD - Im new so I dont know what I need

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom