Noob BCD question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guitar_lord:
Would that be considered "Better" then the jacket style of BCD?

for me, it is.

first, it is infinitely adjustable. i can change the harness from dive to dive
and have a perfect fit every time. comfort = less air used.

second, it's like having a custom-made BCD. no off-the-shelf BCD can
be so adjustable. comfort = less air used.

third, it is much more streamlined, which means you drag less crap through
the water and need less weight to off-set the material's bouyancy. less
effort = less air used

fourth, it doesn't want to push your legs down underwater, causing you
to swim at an angle to the water and with considerable more drag.
less effort = less air used.

fifth, it distributes your weight more evenly over your back,
allowing a horizontal trim and less struggling to stay there.
less effort = less air used.

less air used = longer diver = more fun

guitar_lord:
It would be by some, and not by others. A lot of it has to do with the kind of diving you do, the kind of diving you plan to do, and most importantly personal preference.

Personally, I find it to be better for my needs. I like that it's streamlined, minimalist, and easy/cheap to maintain (I can replace a worn harness myself for under $15). I like that I can use it for any type of diving I'm trained for from 150' dives in near-freezing water with doubles and multiple stage-mounted deco gasses to shallow reef dives in a shorty on tropical vacations. I like that the plate centers the weight above my lungs, below the tanks, and in the center of the wing, instead of aft of my BC on a weight belt. I like that I can wear less lead when I use it. I like that I can reposition D-rings to get them exactly where I want. I like knowing that I'll likely never feel the need to upgrade it when I persue additional training. I like that it's competitively priced compared to other BCs.

Those who don't like them often say that they feel like it pitches them forward on the surface, that it's a tech diving rig not appropriate for recreational diving, that it's uncomfortable, that it's hard to adjust, hard to put on, hard to take off, or just a fad.

I haven't found any of that to jibe with my experience, but your experience may differ.

Thanks for the link to the "Non-Diving Related Stuff" El Orans. That will sure help a lot

guitar_lord:
Ive been looking at the Mares Dragon BCD - Im new so I dont know what I need
Personally, and although the Dragon looks like a nice new jacket BC, I wouldn't want it. I've already voiced my preference for the BP/W, so aside from the ways in which BPs and Jackets differ fundamentally, here are my thoughts on the The Mares Dragon based solely on online photos and marketing descriptions.
Mares marketing:
The BC offers 420 denier buoyancy bag with Alutex 3D metal woven fabric with abrasion-resistant mesh protection..
It sounds sturdy, but there are a lot of sturdy products out there. I'm not sure why I'd want metal woven fabric in a corrosive environment like the ocean, and I'm sure it's not something I'd pay extra for without a lot more explaination and convincing.
Mares marketing:
The New MRS Plus weight integration system... Simply click the buckle in place for optimum security and Release the weights in one pull.
I have mixed feelings about integrated weight systems, as I've seen several dump accidentally but have never seen one dumped deliberately. Generally speaking, I think they're bulky and in the way.
Mares marketing:
The Rear Trim weight system balances the package and has an Elastic cummerbund for perfect fit.
Rear trim weighting is the way to go. I get the same thing from a steel plate, but if properly designed, that could give you a similar benefit to trim. I don't understand why an elastic cummerbund is desirable. I'd rather have a simple buckle on a piece of non-stretch webbing, knowing that elastic eventually loses it's elasticity. It's nice for undies, but I expect more life out of expensive dive gear.
Mares marketing:
Soft neoprene padded collar, Plush-lined interior.
Sounds like it would make it take longer to dry, and maybe more bouyant. Do you think you'll feel the plush through your wetsuit?
Mares marketing:
Stainless steel D rings.
Stainless steel is great, but it's only as versatile and reliable as it's connection. If they're sewn in place, they're not moveable (and after a few years, the threads might start to lose integrity). If you decide down the road you'd prefer they were an inch higher or slightly to the left, you're either going to live with less-than-perfect, or find yourself in the market for a new BC.
Mares marketing:
Zippered pockets.
I prefer pockets on my legs, and velcro closures. With cold water gloves, I'm not looking to fumble with a zipper, and pockets add bulk I don't want on my torso.
Mares marketing:
2 quick dump rear valves.
Nice.
Mares marketing:
Back Protection System with lumbar support.
To protect your back from what exactly? You aren't running a marathon in it, you're diving in it. It shouldn't be causing back strain.

Hey Brian.

You will get a lot of good advice on this forum but keep in mind most divers here are advanced divers and they do tech (cave, wreck, etc). A BP/W is a good setup but there are still lots of good divers who do recreational diving in Great Lakes and Ontario and they use traditional jacket BCs.

I use a Sherwood Avid BD for what it's worth.

Cheers.

-J.-

johnny_bravo:
A BP/W is a good setup but there are still lots of good divers who do recreational diving in Great Lakes and Ontario and they use traditional jacket BCs.
I've had quite a number of lovely dives in traditional jackets. There's nothing wrong with a jacket if it meets your needs... it's only a problem when it no longer does, which is why most of the aforementioned advanced divers (who've typically replaced most of their gear several times to meet changing needs) recommend starting in a system you'll never outgrow.

Nevertheless, there are probably far more divers in the world who are thrilled to death with their jackets than there are divers who've even heard of bp/w. If possible, I recommend trying both of those and a non-bp back-inflate BC before you decide what's best for you.

Hrmm.... well that sure gives me some things to think about...
I can tell this is going to be an extremely difficult decision...... :(

well... you could rent a few models, try them out... get a feel for them

you don't have to buy now... maybe that is a better choice?

ultimately, it comes down to what YOU want in YOUR diving

i could love BP/W, but if it doesn't work for you... well... it doesn't =)

guitar_lord:
Ive been looking at the Mares Dragon BCD - Im new so I dont know what I need

Most BP/wings are better than most vests, because most vests now have padding and cummerbunds, while most BP/wings have yet to take that step. That makes those BP/wings more streamlined than most vests. Unfortunately, most of the wings I've looked at still use a fabric covering over the bladder. That makes them less streamlined.

If you find a well fitting BC that has no padding, no cummerbund and no fabric covering the bladder, you have a good start. You next want to make sure the BC won't trap air. Inflate it, then hold it horizontally (as if you were wearing it while swimming) and look to see it any air is above the dump valve. If it is, it will trap air when you are prone. Next do the same thing while holding it vertically (as it you were relaxing on the surface). You do not want a BC that will trap air in either position.

I prefer the Scubapro Classic Sport. The Classic Plus is not a good choice, IMO. I've not looked at the Mares Dragon.

Back
Top Bottom