Norfolk, VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmbelina

Reaction score
Might be heading down to Norfolk, VA in a month or two to visit a friend (he doesn't dive :( ).

Not sure how warm/cold it would be there then but are there any diving places within a couple hours of there that I could dive on a weekday?

Just recently got OW cert, this would be partly to test out my equipment when I finally get it, as well as something to do during the weekday while he will be at work.

Thanks!

dmbelina once bubbled...
Might be heading down to Norfolk, VA in a month or two to visit a friend (he doesn't dive :( ).

Not sure how warm/cold it would be there then but are there any diving places within a couple hours of there that I could dive on a weekday?

Just recently got OW cert, this would be partly to test out my equipment when I finally get it, as well as something to do during the weekday while he will be at work.

Thanks!

There are a couple of dive operations running out of Lynnhaven. Maybe a few out of Virginia Beach too. I've never dove there, but I'm told the water temps and vis are similar to the MD, DE, NJ coasts.

If you are willing to drive a little then it would definitly be in your best interest to drive down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It is suppose to be some of the best wreck diving any where. If you don't mind cold water you should check out the dive ops in Nags Head, but it you want to dive some warmer water continue on south to Hatteras. If you go there, you should check out Outer Banks diving. My fiance has been with them several times and raves about them. Do be prepared for a long boat ride any where though, I think 1 to 2 hours out is the norm. If you want some more info just let me know, I am sure my fiance would have all the answers you are lookng for.

PS. It about 2 hours to Nags Head and 3 hours to Hatteras from Norfolk....I just did the trip about 3 weeks ago.

http://www.ldcscuba.com/

They are the best in Norfolk/Virginia Beach area... They have to dive boats that go out very weekend and they have some very sweet places to dive. You will be very happy with them.

Rich :mean:

Hey There!
I just dove the John Morgan Liberty Shipwreck out of VA Beach last weekend and had a blast. It's in 110 ft of water, about 30 miles offshore (about 2 hr ride out). We went out on the Flying Fish (with it's awesome captain, crew and divemaster!!!), which was chartered by my local dive shop ($85 for 2 dives), but you should be able to find something on the net about them. They're great...they even grilled us lunch inbetween dives! The surface was like bathwater, and the bottom was a refreshing 68-72 degF. The vis was pretty good, about 20-40 ft or so...Our first dive had much better vis than the second. I saw a WWII tank, artillary shells, a huge tautog, and lots of Atlantic Spadefish. Very cool wreck! We actually had pretty calm seas, but a storm began as soon as we docked in the late afternoon. It was a fantastic day trip. There's tons of other wrecks there too, all in the same area.
Hope you can get out there, especially now when it's warm.

Virginia Beach will probably be be your best bet. I've heard a lot of good things about the Flying Fish.

Not to rain on your parade, but if you just completed OW, you probably don't want to venture down to 110'. A lot of the wrecks require nitrox, and can be considered advanced simply due to the depth. Don't know much about the other wrecks off VB.

I found these through a Google search. Might be worth a call to check on open boats:
Lynnehaven: (757) 481-7949
Mid-Atlantic Dive: (757) 420-6179
Dan's Dive Center: (757) 473-3297

There is also shore diving in VB. Good luck!
Ken

Back
Top Bottom