norte coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the "really, really good stuff" Dave?

What is the "really, really good stuff" Dave?
Der Graduado,

The really good stuff is way up north off of Hanan Beach, all the way to the north end. They include forests of elk horn coral, and micro atolls near Hanan to the nearby wreck of the Spanish Galleon (17 canons and canon balls with 3 giant anchors). Further north there are numerous pristine dive sites most of which remain unexplored by us or anyone else as far as we know.

We did not dive there yesterday as the north wind did not have much of a westerly component making it still rough there as well as reducing the visability. In that wind, the southerly areas remained pretty smooth and safe for diving. We have 5 named sites near Chin Rio which are nice but not quite as spectacular as up north.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

PS on our web site, under diving section there is a nice video showing the windward diving.

Last edited:
The "wreck of the Spanish Galleon,” is officially known as the “Hanan I” site. That is the name under which we cataloged it in the INAH ATLAS registry of underwater shipwreck sites in Mexican waters). It seems that you have either missed the forth anchor, or it has been stolen since we first registered the site and made a photo-mosaic map of it back in 1986. This vessel went down sometime after 1759, on its way to Spain from Colombia or Panama, as part of the cargo was from Colombia.

Hanan II is another wreck site nearby. It had at least four cannons at one time (one was stolen in 1987) and at least one anchor. Hanan III is also nearby, but is mostly a scattering of debris with only one small gun.

A while back, and American archaeologist working for the US National Park Service contacted me to let me know a Cozumel dive master (I know who, but won’t name him publicly at this time) was selling artifacts from these sites. I was very disappointed to hear that. It seems that the idea that the reef and reef animals are protected is an idea wholly embraced by the dive masters, but the fact that historical marine artifacts and shipwreck sites are protected by federal law is still ignored.

I know of at least eight cannons that have been stolen from these east-coast sites, as well as several anchors and a slew of small artifacts. They rested there for hundreds of years unperturbed, but are now in danger of disappearing altogether if the people diving these sites don’t change their ways and treat them as the national (and international) patrimony that they are.

Dear Graduado,

Thanks for the explanation of the history. I can assure you that NO one from Aldora has found any artifacts that could be picked up…perhaps the site was picked clean before we found it in 2006. But we only go by boat and in small groups and would know if any of our dive customers had taken anything. Of course there is the posibility of diving the site from land but it would be an ugly trek from the main road.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

PS When we found it there were only three anchors in the debris field and they are still there.

The "wreck of the Spanish Galleon,” is officially known as the “Hanan I” site. That is the name under which we cataloged it in the INAH ATLAS registry of underwater shipwreck sites in Mexican waters). It seems that you have either missed the forth anchor, or it has been stolen since we first registered the site and made a photo-mosaic map of it back in 1986. This vessel went down sometime after 1759, on its way to Spain from Colombia or Panama, as part of the cargo was from Colombia.

Hanan II is another wreck site nearby. It had at least four cannons at one time (one was stolen in 1987) and at least one anchor. Hanan III is also nearby, but is mostly a scattering of debris with only one small gun.

A while back, and American archaeologist working for the US National Park Service contacted me to let me know a Cozumel dive master (I know who, but won’t name him publicly at this time) was selling artifacts from these sites. I was very disappointed to hear that. It seems that the idea that the reef and reef animals are protected is an idea wholly embraced by the dive masters, but the fact that historical marine artifacts and shipwreck sites are protected by federal law is still ignored.

I know of at least eight cannons that have been stolen from these east-coast sites, as well as several anchors and a slew of small artifacts. They rested there for hundreds of years unperturbed, but are now in danger of disappearing altogether if the people diving these sites don’t change their ways and treat them as the national (and international) patrimony that they are.

Cool. Thanks for the education. So it would be bad form to try to get a cannon for the patio? :happywave:

...I can assure you that NO one from Aldora has found any artifacts that could be picked up...
Dave Dillehay

Isn't this a pic from the Villa? Or did I mislabel it.

19th-century-cannon-and-anchor-arsenale-venice-akw15p.jpg

I don't mind naming names, it was reportedly a guy named "Charro". I don't know if he is even still alive, but I can assure you the site has been picked clean of anything smaller than the canons and anchors.

Dave Dillehay

PS Hey Chief, I think you are wrong about the photo, looks like the backside of Ventanas.

PS Hey Chief, I think you are wrong about the photo, looks like the backside of Ventanas.

You know we could use some cannons there...... Maybe get myself a bicorn....

You know you can post videos here too.....
If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth an easy million. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom