Northern tech diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Since I have been reprimanded for talking about OD
I will discuss my experiences with northern tech diver

I think that the charter operation is unsafe. I was at the marsh doing a dive when one of the NTD charters showed up. ALL the divers then proceeded to suit up and get in the water. Yes ALL. There was no one on the boat. It was left there, just flapping in the wind. That is unsafe and certainly not DIR

I asked if I could get a 3000 psi fill of o2.They said yes. When I showed up with a 13ft bottle, I heard a shout from across the parking lot "woooo PONY BOTTLES" Tom had decided to poke fun at a NEW customer because the customer decided to dive something different. A rebreather in this case. As the fill proceeded, the instructor of the shop walked out and wispered in the ear of the kid filling my bottle. The kid then turns to me and says" sorry we can't fill your bottle to 3000, only 2640. Nice. So I was a little pissed when they would not fill my bottle as they said they would, even though they had a 9000psi booster sitting right there.

These are my complaints about the shop. This is the reason why I will not buy, rent, charter or fill at NTD ever.

Sorry just one mans experience not trying to hurt anyones feelings.

cameron:
Since I have been reprimanded for talking about OD
I will discuss my experiences with northern tech diver

I think that the charter operation is unsafe. I was at the marsh doing a dive when one of the NTD charters showed up. ALL the divers then proceeded to suit up and get in the water. Yes ALL. There was no one on the boat. It was left there, just flapping in the wind. That is unsafe and certainly not DIR

I asked if I could get a 3000 psi fill of o2.They said yes. When I showed up with a 13ft bottle, I heard a shout from across the parking lot "woooo PONY BOTTLES" Tom had decided to poke fun at a NEW customer because the customer decided to dive something different. A rebreather in this case. As the fill proceeded, the instructor of the shop walked out and wispered in the ear of the kid filling my bottle. The kid then turns to me and says" sorry we can't fill your bottle to 3000, only 2640. Nice. So I was a little pissed when they would not fill my bottle as they said they would, even though they had a 9000psi booster sitting right there.

These are my complaints about the shop. This is the reason why I will not buy, rent, charter or fill at NTD ever.

Sorry just one mans experience not trying to hurt anyones feelings.

LOL - well, it's become obvious, not just from reading your brief posting history, but just this post alone, that you have a bone to pick with Tom, Northern Tech Diver, and the DIR community. I'm not sure what made you so militantly zealous, but whatever. I'm not going to bite.

Needless to say, my experiences, as well as the experiences of countless others on this board, run completely contrary to what you're saying. I only wish I could get service at other dive shops like I do at NTD. They have been absolutely fantastic to me, and a number of my NON-DIR friends - and I live 3 hours from Kingston.

I urge you to take an open mind and have a legitimate conversation about your concerns with someone at NTD. Key being an "open" mind. But I suspect this isn't likely to happen...

Cameron

Now your going to see all of Toms and Dans friends come out and flame you. Just let them bark, because every dive shop across Canada have there own devoted customers who need to defend. Not all dive shops are created equal some have been around for years and some have not like NT, which is rather young in business terms. I never bother with them my self, because If I need a part or gas which is rare, I go to Dan Humble at Dive Teck which is a superior facility in every aspect. There's no sitting around the barbecue on Sunday afternoon at Dans pushing out hot dogs, because the line up take most of Mr Humbles day away. As for your air problem, like I said before if they can't produce good quality air why do they think they can mix it.

Rollie

Most of your post isn't worth responding to but you accused NTD of producing and filling bad quality air. Can you somehow support your accusation or are we just supposed to take your word on it because of your detailed profile and excellent reputation?

Unfortunately I don't think anything can be gained by attempting to call to task two guys who don't have the decency to air (pun fully intended) their issues with the said shop via an email, phone call or (shock) in person before taking it to an international scuba diving forum for a little muckraking cheered on by the usual predictable crowd.

The fact that they chose to do so as their primary method of dealing with the issue speaks volumes about their intent, goals, and sense of fair play and honour.

Anyone who is familiar with Dan MacKay's (the whispering instructor in question) attention to detail and safety wouldn't question his decision to not fill the oxygen stage beyond a fill value that he felt within the realm of safety for the said bottle and the contents. His interest certainly isn't going out of his way to make an unsatisfied customer, but rather keep the said customer and his fill station staff safe. Questioning this with such animosity really does bring into question the judgement of Cameron himself. It's quite frightening that a scuba instructor, leader, and mentor in the dive community would want to encourage another dive professional to make any decision they would feel as unsound regarding safetly. However I don't feel too much need to belabour the point. It would seem to me that this would be already obvious to anyone with a modicum of common sense.

What really interests me is why he is complaining about a charter operator and mooring volunteers taking time and money out of their pockets to go out and repair a mooring line, during the middle of a busy weekend,on a popular wreck site so that other operators could use it, and divers like themselves can have the benefit of diving it is also beyond me. It's bottomfeeding jokers like this that put people like the charter operator and other volunteers that volunteered their time to make the repair off having a sense of community and wanting to help out within that community.

I understand dive shop loyalty as I certainly have a degree of it myself (and for good reason in my opinion) but I think Mr. Rollie should really question what favour he is doing to Mr. Dan Humble by openly, and childishly dragging his competion (Northern Tech Diver) through the mud for providing extra service and thanks to customers from time to time in the form of a BBQ. If anything he is presenting himself and by association, Mr. Humble, as petty and bitter. I'm sorry that you feel that *****ing about a customer appreciation bbq is where you need to place your energies. I feel for you. Really I do. I am also certain Mr. Humble, whom you represent so poorly, doesn't mirror your opinions, and my sympathies are with him that there are divers like you representing him and his interests in the ontario diving community.

I invite you both to curb the pettiness, be upstanding men about your issues, and deal with them in the appropriate manner. I also encourage you both to attempt to be a part of the great community of divers we have here in Ontario should you feel the inkling to do so. However all I can do is lead a horse to water. It's up to you to drink.

All the best.

cameron:

Actually, the boat was not left flapping in the wind. I had pulled a muscle the previous weekend and couldn't dive so I drove Harolds boat while he and Rob jumped in to repair the mooring line. The reason we didn't hook up to the line is that there was only a 1/4" poly line keeping the other boat in place until the repair was made. I also stood off so as to not interfere with your group of divers already in the water.

As for the haskell, regardless of it's potential, the OPRV is set for 3400 psi, but for safety reasons the shop policy is to not fill past 2640 with 100% O2.

As one of the "unsafe" divers who took time out of my weekend to repair the said mooring line, I certainly take offense to this guy's petty accusations. Luckily there are enough appreciative and socially well adjusted divers left out there to make doing so a worthwhile and fullfilling activity. This one fool won't be taking the wind out of my sails anytime soon.

The funny part is he is completely overflowing with bovine droppings as there was indeed someone watching the boat while we were in the water making repairs. We had one diver, Kevin, stay on board to pass down line, tools, and other materials required to make the repair.

We managed to complete repairs and it is now safe again to dive this wreck.

Always glad to help.

-Rob

The BBQ'S we have at NTD start after mooring day when we invite people to come and dive for free as we help get all the moorings out and start off the new dive season.
After an awesome day diving, a BBQ is fabulous....
Food , friends and making more dive plans....what more could you want?
Come and join us ....be happy Man!

Cameron see just like I said there buddies will come out to defend, just ignor them, eating cheap Walmart hot dogs does strange things to there minds.

Rollie

Rollie:
Cameron see just like I said there buddies will come out to defend, just ignor them, eating cheap Walmart hot dogs does strange things to there minds.

Rollie
Rollie,

The word "ignore" is spelled with an "e" on the end of it. And when you use the word "their" in it's possessive sense, it is spelled "their" not "there".

I suspect your perspective is as lacking as your grammar.

Dive safe,

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom