Not a diver but interested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gibb68

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Here to ask a ton of questions and read alot and see some pix. I am very interested, but it may take awhile to get started. Depending on the cost and locations around Ill. to get started. Be patient I may ask dumb questions sometimes. Thanks in advance...

Welcome to Scubaboard. You will find a wealth of knowledge here as well as meet some really cool folks. Try using the :search: search button to research answers to your questions. Most have been asked before, but don't be shy about asking for clarification. Check out the forum for your local divers: Central United States - ScubaBoard and subforums: Great lakes wreck divers and Mid-west muck divers. They will be able to steer you towards great instructors and helpful local dive shops in you area.

1st suggestion to save cost.....move. Really the cost isnt that bad, the majority of it is initial setup, cert will run approx 400 plus for basic OW then once you get the gear (the warmer the climate the cheaper its about 5 bucks an air fill and you average 2-3 a day of diving) Plus the warmer climates allow you to dive longer on a lower budget (My entire setup ran about 1100 which is nice except for an older BC and i can dive year round pending days off from work and school but in areas you gotta watch for cold weather regs and possibly 7mm or dry suit diving the cost can easily go up a few hundred dollars more). In Illinois you can dive the lake and some other FW dives which usually dont have as great of visibility and as exotic looking habitats but a decent variety of wrecks, then always vacation to VA, the carolina's, GA or FL and get decent diving for vacation dives on a little budget or go crazy and hit Coz, Turks and some of the other Non-US dive sites

You should first of all define your (initial) dive objective e.g. will you only do tropic dives on holidays once or twice a year or do you plan to dive regularly in colder environments and then you have to hold this up against your start and annually budget and take it from there.
Diving can be a bit costly I have been certified for about a year and have spend well in excess of $3000 with more to come, not that you have to spend that much, I just travel thousands of miles two or three times a year to tropical destinations and I prefer to own all my equipment including spares and “nice to have features” with the exception of tank and weights, you can do cheaper if you go for bargains or with rental gear at least as a start.
And remember there are no dumb beginner questions only dumb answers.

Not to sound like a Nike commercial, but Just Do It :) I got my PADI National Geographic Open Water Certification this past summer and now I’m hooked...I own mostly all my own gear, bc, reg, comp, mask, fins, and hopefully a wetsuit, hood, and gloves after xmas. The initial will run you about 400 for the class and about 1500+/- for gear (I didn't want to go cheap). I can highly recommend Toucan Dive in Lake Villa if your in northern Illinois like me great group of folks.

To expand a bit on the certification I chose, in my opinion the Nat Geo Open Water Cert is what the standard open water cert should be. You work on buoyancy (I love buoyancy, seriously this is the coolest skill, you can do what only astronauts can do), Navigation, Fish and Plant ID along with doing a small research project.

Sean

Edit...

oh and one thing i forgot to mention...do not overlook local diving...yes it can be chilly but that's why we wear wetsuits.

Last edited:
i agree...just do it! It will change your life when you travel to distact lands and see the wonderful world under water. You do not need to own your equipment to get into this sport because you can rent good equipment until you find what you like to use and your budget can afford to buy the gear. When you do buy, start with a few items at a time.

Thanks to all the replied, and I live in the west central part, just lakes and rivers here. Thanks again. Also I think we need a dive terminology and slang thread, I am so confused with some, ok Well most of it. I read it then I do a search:D

Hey the only dumb question is the one left unasked ;-). We all love to answer questions ;-). Welcome to Scubaboard & welcome to diving ;-)! Have fun & feel free to PM me if you have any questions - but not sure I'll have an answer :wink:.

Hey gibb, it's not very expensive to try diving to see if you like it. You MIGHT get hooked, but we'll discuss that later.

There are free Discover Scuba trail classes in lots of places, check around. If you like it then it's not too costly to take and earn you OW, Open Water certification. Many dive shops include free rental of gear for their students at the OW level.

If you discover you love diving, then you can look into getting gear of your own, or just rent gear as you need it, until you decide exactly what you like, and can afford.

With my two kids I purchased the actual rental gear they trained in as used gear, at the end of the season. BIG savings, and the LDS, local dive shop, serviced everything thoroughly before I bought it.

In other words, if you are interested there is nothing stopping you from trying scuba. Enjoy!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom