Not allowing regs with dive computer in carry on bags on flight leaving DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KentFromPGH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife, Charlene, and I and I were recently returning to the US after a great week of diving in Bayahibe, DR. At the Dominican Republic security check point in Santo Domingo the officials told us we could not bring our regulators with dive computers on the airplane. They made us go back and check the small bag with the gear. It was not clear if the problem was with the regulator or the dive computers in the console or both. We have noticed that recently both international and US security seems to have issues with carry on bags with our regulators w/dive computers but have never been denied as carry on before this. Has anyone else experienced this?

nope, have never (yet) experienced any pushback with respect to regs/computers on carry-on, I'm really hoping what you experienced was a freak event and not even remotely becoming a new policy. I'm very paranoid about damage/theft of spendy regs/computers and INSIST those items never leave my person so I'm gonna be VERY upset if I find out this is becoming 'policy'. Maybe it's just limited to DR ??? (I'll never do a dive trip anywhere this is/becomes the policy, so thanks for the heads-up!)

Ugh! And I was peeved at Honduras departure security! Glad your little bag made it home with you.

Are you going to post a trip report or tell how the rest of the trip was?
Glad the storms were kind to you...

Hmmmm... Didn't remember your having a split personality.... jijiji

The only thing I've ever had trouble carrying on was my HID canister light when returning from Malaysia through LAX. I was forced to check my $800 light. I was not happy about that, to say the least & to boot that bag's arrival was delayed 24 hrs. Before that, I had never had any issues carrying on my light.

I have never had a problem. If there seems to be a certain destination where this is a problem, I too would have second thoughts about going there to dive.

I don't know if there is a pertinent part of the rules that can be printed and brought along that would help. (But of course even if you do that they can really do whatever they want.)

I usually bring 2 complete reg sets (including duplicate computers) on all my trips, and as the replacement value of just 2 of my nicer complete reg sets (with computers) would exceed $ 10,000, that is definitely NOT something I plan to ever have to put in checked luggage!

My husband had his Cobra in his carry-on coming home from Egypt (I think it was) and the Amsterdam security people wouldn't let it on the plane, on the basis that it was big and heavy and you could hit someone with it.

They let me on with a big, thick book though . . .

Cobra? Big and heavy? That makes about as much sense as the rest of TSA.

I usually bring 2 complete reg sets (including duplicate computers) on all my trips, and as the replacement value of just 2 of my nicer complete reg sets (with computers) would exceed $ 10,000, that is definitely NOT something I plan to ever have to put in checked luggage!

Exactly what kind of equipment do you own? :headscratch:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom