Not allowing regs with dive computer in carry on bags on flight leaving DR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must say, I have never had that problem flying out of Bayahibe before. You must have caught them on a bad day.

Airline security can be maddeningly inconsistent. I remember once having nail clippers taken off me (what, in case I threaten the pilot with a really bad manicure unless he diverts the aircraft...?) whilst my wife has made it on with 7" knitting needles.

I think it was an isolated experience and wouldn't hesitate to go back to Santo Domingo/Bayahibe DR again. Even in the US I have gotten some strange looks and had to get our carry on hand checked because of the regulators and dive computers. I think because every setup looks different and they are not as common as laptops and other consumer electronics that sometimes security doesn't know what to do so they question them or deny taking them on board as carry on.

Kent-
Love your sig line - and of course, your avatar, too!
So the DR diving was worth a return trip?

I cannot believe that some of you bring your own LEAD to resorts!! I have NEVER been to a diving resort that couldn't give me the weight that i needed! I've never heard of that!! I'd rather bring my favorite liquor than bring a couple pounds of lead. Bringing your own lead.. that is ridiculous.

Our trip to Bayahibe, DR was very nice. Even after a nearby hurricane we thought most of the vis was good. Different from Cozumel but we really enjoyed the entire trip.

Trip report coming soon - Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

Trip report coming soon - Honest... I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD.

We're on a mission from God.

We flew AA from Managua to Miami last Sat & security would not allow my reg as hand luggage. Had to go & retrieve my checked bag & put it in. My wrist computer was allowed as carry on.

I usually bring 2 complete reg sets (including duplicate computers) on all my trips, and as the replacement value of just 2 of my nicer complete reg sets (with computers) would exceed $ 10,000, that is definitely NOT something I plan to ever have to put in checked luggage!

Overkill, and you paid too much!!

I usually bring 2 complete reg sets (including duplicate computers) on all my trips, and as the replacement value of just 2 of my nicer complete reg sets (with computers) would exceed $ 10,000, that is definitely NOT something I plan to ever have to put in checked luggage!

I call shenanigans!
I'd be really interested in knowing what regulator/computer set you have that totals 5k

With the most expensive computer console i'm guessing about 2300'ish, that leaves 2700 for first stage, second stage and octopus. I really don't think that's possible.

I went to Punta Cana with 4 computers, and 2 sets of regs in my carry-on bag. They never blinked an eye.

Wish I could have said the same for TSA in Minneapolis. The way I was treated, you would have thought that the hoses were actually disguised det-cord, and the computers were packed with C4. :shakehead:

It all depend on the training they have, and as always they are told that if you are not 100% sure to tell the traveler to check it. Some to these people at the security points in DR and other countries, have never seen a diver gear at close and if they are new in the job they have no experience and it is easier to tell the traveler, "sorry but you have to check this bag in" that to have the supervisor chew his/her a*s or get fired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom