not feeling great....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarantim

Reaction score
Help!! I really want to do this!! Any help would be extremely appreciated!! I had my first and almost my 2nd day of confined water dives this past weekend. I did OK the first day with the dives except when I did the alternate breathing w/ my buddy's octopus, the mouthpiece had a huge hole and I gulped a large amount of water. :( That was pretty bad but I got over it and finished the rest of the day. Then yesterday, we all got in the pool and I finished the 1st fin pivot and I was waiting for the rest of the class to finish when I started getting really sick to my stomach. I tried to relax and breathe through it, but I really thought I was going to throw-up. So, up I went. After a little while and taking off all my equipment. I suited up and tried again without a hood (thinking that maybe that was my problem). Well, after trying again for about 5 minutes under the water, my stomach started again and again I went up. This time for good. I really want to learn to dive. My husband and I are doing this together and I feel like I'm "letting him down" (I know he's OK, but I feel bad). I don't know if part of what I was feeling was anxiety or if it was an upset stomach or a little of both. I'm now afraid of finishing except that it is something I really want to do. Is there any advice out there? The dive shop is being great and telling me I can come back any time and learn privately and I hope this will do it, but I'm wondering if I'm the only person out there that feels like this. Help!!

You didn't state how your first day went, I hope that it went well.

Pool water isn't the best water for drinking. If you swallowed a big gulp of it. That might of caused your wanting to throw up. The anxiety of the event would not have helped either. I think that this is what caused your nausea. (But I'm not a Dr. and I don't play on on TV)

I don't think that there is anyone (including your husband) who wants you to dive if you are uncomfortable with it. So in no way are you letting anyone down.

Your dive shop has already given you the best advice. Go back, try it again at your own pace. Before you start, maybe your should have a discussion with the instructor on how to handle anxiety underwater. For myself, I have to shut my eyes and concentrate on my breathing. I breathe in for a 6 count, hold for 6 and then out for six. I make sure that I am counting in my head. I find that if I focus on something (the counting) I can get through my anxiety. Three or four of those cycles usually work for me.

Remember, it is a sport! Dive safe and have fun!

tarantim,

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I am also sure that other people here on the board have had similar experiences.

Your problem might be caused from anxiety after sucking in some water. I can only offer you the encouragement to relax and to keep trying. Maybe start out in the shallow end of the pool where you can submerge in a few feet, breathe easy and try progressing into deeper water slowly. Hopefully you will overcome any fears (if that is the cause) and become certified so you can enjoy the excellent diving off the "best coast".

Hang in there... you will do fine... and don't worry about your husband... that is what gets folks in trouble - worrying about pleasing/displeasing others.

How did you feel on your fin pivot drill and even before that on your 2nd confined dive? Did you have anxiety? Did you eat anything that would have caused an upset stomach..like a big ole chili dog with extra onions?

It could have been coincidence that you had stomach discomfort, but your mind probably took it a step further and made it seem diving related..could have been! Like me, it sounds like you are really into learning this and want to overcome any obstacles that arise. Setup up something with your dive shop and get back in the water ASAP. The longer you wait, the longer you will have to worry and come up with excuses not to go back. Just do it!

If you think its anxiety related, let your instructor know and he/she will try and help you with it. They are trained to deal with this kind of stuff. Also, dont worry about anyone else and what they think....everyone has their little things they need to deal with..I certainly have mine.

From one newbie to another I hope this helps!

Jason

I have to be very careful of what and how much I eat before I dive or I experience stomach aches. (avoid eggs!)

During my certification dives I was wearing rented equipment, and the BCD acted badly (on the surface it kept overinflating like it was possessed....it felt like a blood pressure cuff...ouch). Anyway, once I got my own BCD that was comfortable and better behaved - that also helped reduced my stomach discomfort.

And of course, what everyone else states, the more confident and relaxed I am the better I feel.

Good luck and hang in there, it just gets better and better.

I am with the others that posted.
I also had some trouble with my confinedwater dives. Your instructor can really help!
I know I woudn't be certified if it wasn't for the help of my instructor. Just try to make that appt with your dive shop soon. The longer you what the more worried you get.

Awwww
*grumbles about the sheer ammount of luvley american cusine he WONT be eating on his diving trip the the Keys*

Hmm teach me to forget i had pressed the back button.. :/

Thanks so much for all the advice! I actually just made a call and I'm going back in the water tomorrow just to swim around and get my "scuba legs" on. Then next week we set up some time for the rest of the skills with an instructor and one other person and then hopefully I will be ready for the OW dives! Thanks, again!!

Back
Top Bottom