Not servicing my gear EVER!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your gonna die!

Just wanted to prepare you for the onslaught.

A quick question would be why? Economics or just out of not seeing the benefit of doing so?

The reason for getting gear serviced or servicing it yourself is that things do wear out, and to catch problems before they become BIG problems. Your life depends on everything working properly. You can never check your cars brakes, and they will work right up until they don't. Coming down a steep mountain pass is not when you want to find that out. Same with Scuba gear- is there a good time for it to stop working properly?

potential problems are not caught ahead of time so as per the previous post when they fail it will be at best before a dive at worst when you are at the bottom of the ocean.

When Regs are serviced, if done properly they should be taken to a tech that has access to the correct service kit. A service kit is a bag of parts that will always contain o rings and depending on the reg things like diaphragms, pressure seats etc. These are swapped out as a matter of course as they wear out so if they are swapped out during the service then they wont spoil your day by breaking on a dive.

When the reg is serviced the tech should also look for tell tale signs like moisture in the 1st stage, checking the intermediate pressure etc this can get knocked out over time and result in problems. Also just having the regs taken apart once a year will stop them corroding together and locking up so that when you do need to get in to them to fix something you can.

I think you would be hard pushed to find someone that would agree that never servicing them is a good idea

Just a thought.....what if you did want to start out with a regulator with the intention of never servicing it.
Which specific regulator would be the most durable?
An old Poseidon? An Aqualung Titan? An older Mares with the ruby seat? How about a Scubapro Mk2?
The OP got me curious about this.

Would some regs be better than others? Maybe the vintage divers might have some good opinions on this?

-Mitch

Sounds to me like your just trolling to provoke a response.

So I just wanted to know. If i never service my regs. what are the risks involved?

Unless the first stage inlet filter becomes totally clogged, the most likely result will be free-flow. This will be due to the IP pressure in the first stage creeping up and/or the second stage leaking — both due to seat wear. This is not an absolute certainty, but a very high probability. This is assuming that inspections for physical damage, mostly to hoses, and reasonable rinsing are practiced.

Scuba and industrial regulators are exceptionally reliable devices and rarely fail unless badly abused or exposed to filthy gas.

I think it is fair to say that most divers' confidence in their regulator is critical to their sense of well being, thus diving enjoyment. Some people satisfy this requirement by having their regulators serviced regularly. Others look at some kid at their dive shop repairing regulators and outboard motors on the same bench and need more. If you are in the latter group, learning enough about regulators to answer this question yourself, if not service it yourself, may be prudent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom