not sure now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing says you gotta dive to 140 feet.

Nothing says you can't do all of your diving at 35 feet.

Do what ever makes you happy. If you like diving but don't like the risks, stay shallow and enjoy the scenery. Nothing wrong with that!

Happy diving. :D

I'm gonna agree with everybody's posts so far in this thread. Keep diving, take more classes, and/or find a great mentor. The more you dive, the more there is to experience and learn. And experience + learning = less accidents.

Also read about accidents and learn what went wrong. Think about what happened and how it could've been prevented, and also think about how you would've reacted and what you would've done if you were on that dive.

I have yet to experience an incident on any of my dives (knock on wood), but every accident I read about, I try to think about the steps I would need to take to respond properly, and prevent it from becoming a "accident"

wzap:
... i am relaxed and confident when i dive but cant help to think something is going to go wrong
Doesn't sound like you are relaxed. If you are afraid, don't do it. There is nothing to be gained in doing something voluntarily while afraid. Unless of course one thrives on fear. But that doesn't sound like you.

On the other hand if all you do is 'wonder what could go wrong'. Then I suggest to take a step back and assess what can go wrong in your current scenario/type of diving. Then apply solutions to them and practice these solutions.

Comfort comes with experience and the knowledge that you can address concerns/issuse that could come up. Comfort comes through proper training, practice and experience.

But don't give up, a wary mind is better in this activity than a cocky one.....

If you can't hack it, dump it.

wzap:
have done the open water and have dove to around 30 feet twice while on vacation. after reading the accident reports and the dan list of incidents, do i really want to do this. diving was at the top of anything i have ever done and i learned my skills really well. my dm has told me to relax and dont read this because there are always other factors involved. please help before i give up. i am relaxed and confident when i dive but cant help to think something is going to go wrong

You should take a DIR-F course from GUE. Those guys practice every possible problem and how to fix it over and over and over until it's so second nature that you won't have to worry.

http://www.gue.com/Training/Recreational/dirfund.html

thanks for the encouragement, been diving weekly now and have learned my skills really well. i am very comfortable under the water and am going to coz next week. thanks again

Bravo....

We love a happy ending.

Dive safe,
Pete

thanks for the encouragement, been diving weekly now and have learned my skills really well. i am very comfortable under the water and am going to coz next week. thanks again
Don't forget to write a trip report... :)

Oooooohhhhhhhh, Coz... I'm jealous! Congrats on overcoming your fear, and have a blast on your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom