not sure what happened - RX100 first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
well, took the RX100 out for the 1st time last night...everything started out okay...first few test shots came out fine. but when presented with some great subjects (flamboyant cuttlefish, wasp fish, etc.), it seemed that the camera stopped being sync'd with my YS02. so i played with camera flash settings (cycled through them all) and adjusted strobe settings...nada. just very underexposed (almost no exposure) shots. switched to P mode and got a few shots to come out but after a few, there was serious shutter lag and i missed a bunch of shots. i couldn't even get shots of my hand about 3" from the lens with the strobe at full power...this is the only half decent pic from the dive (this cuttlefish was very accomodating but i couldn't get my camera to work :depressed:)

8188271490_31096e7814_c.jpg

manual setting was F8/1-200/ISO80 initially...opened it up and still got the same result so i switched to P (program), which i believe is auto and it worked for a few shots then the shutter lag started.

1) YS-02 is for manual mode only, no TTL, so you have to adjust strobe power by yourself.
2) Mode selection of YS-02 is very easy to miss (pre-flash & non pre-flash), you should offen check it underwater.

strobe settings checked many times on this dive...camera flash settings checked as well.

I have not tried using the RX100 for stills with strobe, however there is a potential issue with the fact that you are using a manual strobe whilst the camera has auto flash only and no option to set it manually without pre-flash that would be ideal in order not to drain the battery and avoid lag, instead you need to use it in pre-flash mode

possible theory is: when the camera meters the preflash will detect a very dark scene, then pump the internal flash to the max, this will be later taken over by your strobe and the camera will then think there is too much light and end up compensating on the opposite way

The Rx100 in auto flash is well known to have a lag problem, this would not be apparent with a TTL flash but with your manual one could give issues am afraid this is what is happening.

Solution: buy yourself a DS-TTL or inon strobe

...Solution: buy yourself a DS-TTL or inon strobe

i was waiting for you to answer :wink:....looks like i'll be picking up a TTL strobe shortly. it's weird because it worked for a few shots....i can use the internal flash for now. thanks, interceptor

Thanks for the trust mine is an informed guess
Maybe put a call in to Ryan at reef or Scott bluewater just to cover all angles
The fact the rx100 has no manual flash options is bad for stills but acceptable with a good ttl unit

Interceptor121, I believe you are correct. The strobe (even in manual) sends out a preflash and it can push the timing off, so the camera does not sync.

Thankfully, one can test this on land. Pick three distances (as close as possible, something around 6 ft and something over 12). Take three images at each distance..one with say 25% power, one at around 60& and one at full power. If they all work, then the odds are it was some setting change. Odds are though, if the power is too high, you will loose flash sync.

Note: Please don't do this test over and over in one sitting, or you can over heat your strobes.

I have several different camera's that have this issue. Seems that at full power (or something close to it), the time the preflash is on and the delay time is too great for the camera's expectation.

Note2: There is another issue with clear water, shallow and bright sun that can cause a different issue.

I have not tried using the RX100 for stills with strobe, however there is a potential issue with the fact that you are using a manual strobe whilst the camera has auto flash only and no option to set it manually without pre-flash that would be ideal in order not to drain the battery and avoid lag, instead you need to use it in pre-flash mode

possible theory is: when the camera meters the preflash will detect a very dark scene, then pump the internal flash to the max, this will be later taken over by your strobe and the camera will then think there is too much light and end up compensating on the opposite way

The Rx100 in auto flash is well known to have a lag problem, this would not be apparent with a TTL flash but with your manual one could give issues am afraid this is what is happening.

Solution: buy yourself a DS-TTL or inon strobe

Back
Top Bottom