Novice diver plunge for Backplate and Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ignoring BCD/BPW for the moment, the first thing is are you hooked on diving and committed to investing in gear and going diving?

If no, don't spend money yet. If yes, get a BP/W.

Is it too radical for someone who just started, and used a rental jacket for his first two dives with an instructor?
(I am not planning on any extreme diving, mostly recreational and in warmer climates.)

We put all of our OW classes in BP/W... there's nothing radical about it.

Ray

You'll be happier in the long run with the Bp/W provided you know how to utilize it properly.
Aside from fitting it right, you'll have to make your own connection devices to connect accessories such as lights, SMB's, finger spools etc.

Learning how to tie bolt snaps onto your items will go a long way to making it an ideal system. There's also Wetsuit pockets which are even better for reducing clutter.
When getting a Bp/W, I recommend getting a 1 piece hogarthian style harness, stocking up on caveline (nylon #24 line) and getting a scrap piece of bicycle tubing (2in in flat diamter) to use as an elastic tie down. Cut it into small O-strips and install 2 on each side of your shoulder harness strap to keep danglies tied down. Save the rest of the inner tube for when your current ones break.

You don't need to go the long hose/bungee backup route, but it helps to clear up your front side even more. One less thing to attach to your D-rings, freeing up space or other things. Like the Bp/W itself, the long hose route is another system that you have to learn. A different mindset in diving that most basic OW classes don't teach.

Most of us here can help you in all those regards though.

As a side note, if you decide to go with a conventional octo, use a snorkel keeper or a 3/16" bungee loop as your securing device. Loop it around a shoulder D-ring and connect your octo's mouthpiece to it making sure it's looped over/past the ziptie notch. They're more reliable than your usual run of the mill octo securing devices.

I didn't expect so many people respond to my question. Thank you all, folks! Your advice is based on your experience, real-life situations, so I should follow it very closely. You know what you're talking about.

I have an additional question.
One of my favorite sales guys from a local scuba store told me bp/w venue would cost me A LOT MORE than a "standard" BCD.

Can you confirm that statement of his? Reading this board, I was under impression it was possible to configure a decent bp/w rig for less than most BCD systems.
He insisted that a bp/w requires better quality regulators, octos, etc. I agree, if the bp/w is intended for technical, highly advanced diving, you should use high-end components. But for 'light' use?..

One of my favorite sales guys from a local scuba store told me bp/w venue would cost me A LOT MORE than a "standard" BCD.

He insisted that a bp/w requires better quality regulators, octos, etc. I agree, if the bp/w is intended for technical, highly advanced diving, you should use high-end components. But for 'light' use?..

It's BS based on the fact that he doesn't sell them and will say anything in his "toolbox" to get you to choose to buy what he has to sell.

Sales is war. It has nothing to do with the truth.

R..

I didn't expect so many people respond to my question. Thank you all, folks! Your advice is based on your experience, real-life situations, so I should follow it very closely. You know what you're talking about.

Can you confirm that statement of his? Reading this board, I was under impression it was possible to configure a decent bp/w rig for less than most BCD systems.
I can't imagine why he would make the comment about regulators, etc....You have a long primary hose and short necklace reg hose...., and short pressure gauge hose without the wasted money on a big deluxe console...
Regs don't need to be pricey....I got a scuba pro mark 2 and R190 2nd stage back around 1992, and it is still as good today as it was then...and it has served me on many hundreds of dives to over 250 feet deep. Today there is a Mark 2 and a R290 for under $300 ...you would just need to get the right hoses added and a simple analog pressure gauge.

And there are certainly cheaper regs than the Scubapro, that are also plenty good for now...

As to Bp/Wing costs, the high end ones like Halcyon will last longer by far than most standard BCs...my 1997 issue Halcyon 18 pound wing is as solid today as it was in 97, and obviously the steel backplate will be good for hundreds of years...the harness probably for another 20. If Halcyon is too pricey, you could see if someone is selling one slightly used, or, you could go with an oxy check or one of the others that is similar to Halcyon, but less expensive.

Usually you can set up a BP/W for less, but some systems are down right expensive. Just depends on the brand. Most brands are very similar to each other though.

Take a look at HOG regs, which are technical regulators compared to the LDS's high end regs and you will find yourself running away from the LDS. Check Dive Right In Scuba's website, or chat with Jim Lapenta for pricing of complete kits. HOG builds good quality stuff that works great for a recreational diver, and for a technical diver all at an affordable cost. I bought my partner a set of HOG regs, and she will never be anything more than a recreational diver.

Regulators, computers, and BC's are completely seperate systems. They don't compliment each other in terms of having to match up quality.
You can dive a **** regulator with an expensive BC and vice versa. Just think of one thing from your basic equipment lecture: Does the suggestion that a regulator's quality HAS to match up with a BC quality make sense to you?

So bottom line, any regulator can be paired up with any BC including a Bp/W.
Bp/W can run cheaper than stock BC's, but can also be more expensive than regular BC's. It just depends on what brand you get and what accessories you include in certain packages (BC and Bp/W's alike)

You can do some shopping yourself to see. Bp/W manufacturer's are:
Halcyon, DSS, Zeagle, Oxycheq, OMS, HOG, DiveRite, Golum, Scubapro. And plenty others that I can't remember off the top of my head.
HOG tends to be the cheapest part for part, Halcyon the most expensive. That does not mean HOG is an inferior quality though, as many can attest to.

Being a rational person, and reading posts here, I am leaning to the BP & W instead of a traditional jacket type BC. It's like a linux compared to a macbook. A bit difficult but rewarding in many respects.
Is it too radical for someone who just started, and used a rental jacket for his first two dives with an instructor?
(I am not planning on any extreme diving, mostly recreational and in warmer climates.)

It's just a BC. You don't need any special skills or trainings to use it.

The price......it all depends on brand.....you can get some jacket/classic BCD's that are much more expensive then a BP/W combo.....all depends on what ya look for.

Back
Top Bottom