Novice Exposure Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clark Fletcher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I have an undergarment on order from my LDS. The undergarment will provide and equivalent 3mm of exposure protection and is neutrally buoyant. However, it has not come in and will not arrive before a planned dive this weekend.

Currently, I only have a 3mm wetsuit. This weekend I'm planning to dive a treasure hunt at a local quarry. Currently, the quarry temperatures (to the best of my knowledge) are in the low 70s down to the thermocline (around 20 feet) and in the low 60s (possibly high 50s) below that. It may end up getting a little warmer because the air temps are supposed to get to the high 80s by Sunday when we're diving.

So, the questions are this:
1) Should I just go and rent/borrow a 7mm suit from my LDS?
2) Or is there something I can wear under my 3mm just to get me through the dive this weekend?​

At most, I'll probably be doing two dives of 45 minutes each. We can't get in the water until 9AM and have to be out by 11:30AM (for lunch and prize drawing).

Thanks.

Personally I would rent/borrow the 7mm suit rather than take the chance of trying a bodged set up that might work.

I would always err on the warm side when diving wet - you can always flush the suit if you get too warm but there is nothing you can do if you get too cold halfway through a dive apart from aborting it.

Temperature tolerance is very personal, but I personally could only "survive" a very short dive in my 3mm in low 70's water. 75 and I've shivering in less than 20 minutes. I agree with trying to get your hands on a 7mm

I'm curious what this undergarment is that alleges to turn a 3mm into 6mm of thermal protection.

Temperature tolerance is very personal, but I personally could only "survive" a very short dive in my 3mm in low 70's water. 75 and I've shivering in less than 20 minutes. I agree with trying to get your hands on a 7mm

I'm curious what this undergarment is that alleges to turn a 3mm into 6mm of thermal protection.

Thanks guys.

I dove the 3mm suit in Florida a few weeks ago in low 70s water both days and was quite comfortable. I never felt cold or even the slightest bit chilled at any time. That being said, I don't want to take any chances. I'll contact my LDS as soon as they open and see if I can pick a 7mm this afternoon.

As far as the undergarment, I'll see if I can get some more info on it when I go to the shop this afternoon. I ordered a 1 piece suit and an optional detachable hood. However, it comes in individual top and bottom pieces as well. Quite honestly, for about $50 more, I could have bought a 7mm suit. However, I would have still needed to buy a separate hood. The idea of not changing buoyancy over the 3mm was attractive to me (assuming it really doesn't) and it will serve as a good undergarment for a dry suit down the road when I get to that point. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it will provide me the additional warmth I need until I'm ready to make the leap into a drysuit.

It sounds like he's referring to one of a few brands: Lavacore, Sharkskin, and Coreskin are all essentially identical. Fleece inside, slick outside, "windproof" membrane that actually does help cut down on the cold from wind (like on the boat ride home). All neutrally buoyant and provide ~2mm-3mm of warmth.

There's also a Pinnacle V-Skin that's similar (but better) and might be the one OP's talking about as it's got a few hood/neck options. My wife has one and loves it. My main cave buddy does as well. I'm waiting for a good deal to pop up.

Like CT Sean said, everyone is different. But that thermocline will likely cut right through that 3mm. I'd just rent the 7mm, and enjoy the dive better.

Compare myself, and 2 of my good dive buddies. Steady 63 degree water temp. I get a bit chilled after 3 dives, one buddy is an underwater furnace, and the other is shivering after 1 dive. All wearing 7mm wetsuits.

Yes, borrow the 7mm suit.

Every drop of 5 degrees F is very noticeable. If you're wearing a 3mm wetsuit in 70s F water, you're "normal", not one of those who are particularly cold tolerant.

I confirmed with my LDS that they have a 7mm wetsuit available for me to use this weekend. I'll pick it up in a couple of hours.

And, to answer CT Sean's question, as Victor Zamora surmised, I confirmed with the shop that the undergarment I'm getting is the Pinnacle V-Skin. Quite honestly, I didn't know that much about it when I ordered it. But, I have a great deal of faith in my diving instructor (he hasn't steered me wrong yet), and I ordered it based on his recommendation.

I watched the Pinnacle video on the V-Skin and was pretty impressed (albeit still a little skeptical). But, after looking at a few supposedly independent reviews, I think I've made the right choice for me. However, only time will tell and it may not be the right choice for others. As soon as I get it, I'll try to get some hours on it so I can provide an unbiased review. As most of my diving over the next month or so will be quarry diving with very dramatic thermoclines, it should be a good environment for testing the capabilities of the Pinnacle V-Skin.

I confirmed with my LDS that they have a 7mm wetsuit available for me to use this weekend. I'll pick it up in a couple of hours.

And, to answer CT Sean's question, as Victor Zamora surmised, I confirmed with the shop that the undergarment I'm getting is the Pinnacle V-Skin. Quite honestly, I didn't know that much about it when I ordered it. But, I have a great deal of faith in my diving instructor (he hasn't steered me wrong yet), and I ordered it based on his recommendation.

I watched the Pinnacle video on the V-Skin and was pretty impressed (albeit still a little skeptical). But, after looking at a few supposedly independent reviews, I think I've made the right choice for me. However, only time will tell and it may not be the right choice for others. As soon as I get it, I'll try to get some hours on it so I can provide an unbiased review. As most of my diving over the next month or so will be quarry diving with very dramatic thermoclines, it should be a good environment for testing the capabilities of the Pinnacle V-Skin.

I'll be looking forward to reading that review. I'm not particularly cold tolerant and have been debating adding an undergarment beneath my 8mm semi-dry.

I'm not particularly cold tolerant and have been debating adding an undergarment beneath my 8mm semi-dry.
In your situation, I'd seriously consider going dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom