now i have to get a med every year !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnfrog

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
now sdi is making it mandatory i get a med every year .....ANOTHER COST to teach !! so now not only does it cost for membership and insurance ,plus facility charge and now 75 or more bucks for the med ....im a member with 3 other agencies .....that dont ask me to spend money for a med ..about a thousand bucks a year....... well i just might have to make some hard decisions

Last edited:
now sdi is making it mandatory i get a med every year .....ANOTHER COST to teach !! so now not only does it cost for membership ,plus facility charge and now 75 or more bucks for the med ....im a member with 3 other agencies .....that dont ask me to spend money for a med . well i just might have to make some hard decisions

Before you finish figuring it out I suggest looking at what it might do for your taxes. Since it's being required to teach under the SDI banner you might be able to add it to the professional, unreimbursed business expenses like SDI membership fees, professional subscriptions, and the like. Another place to possibly get a little bit back is if you can add it to your annual medical expenses. I believe the trick is to figure out which of those options (biz expense or health expense- it can only go in one place or the other, not both) is closest to "activating" and actually making itself useful. Just a few thoughts anyways. Good luck with figuring it out.

That's the kind of thing that had me dump my DM status.

In order two 'write-off' something, you have to make money first. If your expenses are > than your income, you have to ask: " am I doing this for fun?", "is this worth it?"

Just watch how your insurance rates are going up this year! And, you can thank all those suit-hungry individuals for it.

C

If you have a regular PCP and get a yearly physical anyway the odds are very good that they may sign the form as part of that physical = no extra charge. At least in the US.

If you have a regular PCP and get a yearly physical anyway the odds are very good that they may sign the form as part of that physical = no extra charge. At least in the US.

I'm not sure where the OP is located, but this is what I do. My insurance covers a yearly physical and I just have the dr fill out a medical form for work and diving.

im in canada it doesn't work that way its another 250-275 plus only a diving doc will sighn the forms .....tax impications here are way different than the us .. ive been sdi for along time put a lot of effort and money to get here now they are doing something that no other agency does ....im really thing of going the naui route .(ive been a naui instructor over 30 years and a call to them says they are NOT GOING TO DO THIS ) im really pissed that they are doing this i think they will lose a lot of instructors the cost is my biggest problem here .

im in canada it doesn't work that way its another 250-275 plus only a diving doc will sighn the forms .....tax impications here are way different than the us.

That's a lot of money to keep what you've already earned! I can certainly understand your hesitation now. By chance are you close to the border where you can see a US doc? There's a lot that will take self-pay cash payments at a discount because they lose so much money filing the required insurance reimbursements. Regarding our taxes, well my wife and I are degreed engineers and work with advanced maths but doing our taxes really pushes our sanity.

no i cant get to the states to do it , and yes like you said it is alot of money to keep what i already have .... id like to hear from other sdi instructors what they think of this ?

i would like to hear from other instructors what they think of this added cost to teaching ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom