Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few photos from Blue Heron Bridge last month:

Orangespot Cratena
FL_170119_1362.jpg

Warty Pleurobranch
FL_170120_1454.jpg

Purplering Flabellina
FL_170120_1512.jpg

Flabellina Dushia
FL_170124_2017.jpg

Doto varaderoensis
FL_170128_2547.jpg

Unidentified
FL_170128_2554.jpg

Western Dondice
FL_170128_2565.jpg

Flabellina Verta
FL_170128_2590.jpg

Atlantic Black Seahare
FL_170131_3174.jpg

i-8pw6m7x

Attachments

• FL_170119_1362.jpg
    FL_170119_1362.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Here's one from Monterey, CA last weekend. Papillose aeolid (Aeolidia papillosa) was my initial ID, but I'm not so sure now. It was laying eggs on the underside of a leaf of red seaweed.
IMG_9861.jpg

Another shot:
IMG_9864.jpg

Maybe not the prettiest nudibranch out there, but I've never seen it before and it got me excited!

a little "dirty looking" but nice critter :)

A few photos from Blue Heron Bridge last month:

Doto varaderoensisView attachment 396457
Dang, that is one tiny nudi.
Missing my bridge. new to me camera should be here soon. Last one flooded, and with work, have not been diving. Dang, I miss it..

Here's one from Monterey, CA last weekend. Papillose aeolid (Aeolidia papillosa) was my initial ID, but I'm not so sure now. It was laying eggs on the underside of a leaf of red seaweed.
Maybe not the prettiest nudibranch out there, but I've never seen it before and it got me excited!
Great shots. That's one of the many nudibranchs with a new name based on DNA studies. It is now Aeolidia loui.

Thanks. I guess I'll give up trying to remember latin names. According to one of my books, A. ex-papillosa goes by the popular name "Shaggy mouse nudibranch" which just seems right to me. So I'm gonna call it that.

Thanks. I guess I'll give up trying to remember latin names. According to one of my books, A. ex-papillosa goes by the popular name "Shaggy mouse nudibranch" which just seems right to me. So I'm gonna call it that.

Somehow, pretty wrong. "Latin" names, as you call it are "scientific" names. in fact the ONLY one that caracterizes a species :happywave:

Somehow, pretty wrong. "Latin" names, as you call it are "scientific" names. in fact the ONLY one that caracterizes a species :happywave:

Yeah, I know - I'm a scientist while above sea level :). But I liked the popular name.
I just read the publication describing A. loui and it's very interesting. The degree of overlap between A. loui and A. papillosa isn't clear yet. A. loui is currently only known to be on the CA coast plus a bit of OR). Until someone finds one further north, I guess.

I am with you on that, but the problem with "local" names is that.............they can vary from place to place. It is not uncommon, particularly for fishes, that you get several names, depending on the island where the fishes are caught. Moreover is that I dive with English speaking and French speaking people. This just "doubles" the amount of names.:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom