Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok back from Tawali, Millne Bay in Papua New Guinea, lots of nudis on the black sand bottom, a special tribute to the one nudibranch that was probably the highest on my bucketlist, the exquisite Cyerce Nigra.

33797880441_4c9f98d5b9_c.jpg

33797880151_2735121489_c.jpg

33797879931_92a58fa4bf_c.jpg

33084353284_489943e532_c.jpg

Also some photos of the very colorful Miamira Sinuata

33771020392_6f62ba6cf0_c.jpg

33798433691_7c5884848e_c.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0779.jpg
I found several Aegires albopunctatus (salt and pepper nudibranch) on the pipe leading to the metridium fields in Monterey. I've not seen them in Monterey before - don't know if I wasn't looking hard enough (although they stood out quite clearly), or if they are seasonal, or shy, or something else. They were very small - less than 1 cm long - and seemed to want to burrow into the algae/debris as soon as I started taking pics.
I'm also trying (and failing) to ID that juvenile sea star - there's quite a lot of them about now, which is a very good sign.

Not been posting much on this part of the forum for a few months.

Since I returned from my tech trip in Sri Lanka at the beginning of May the water has warmed up here in UAE and we have found a new nudi site that is being very productive with lots of species in a very small area.

This one I found waiting in minutes on my second dive yesterday, I think it's a Favorinus sp.

FUJ_1926MCsig_zpsfua9uaxq.jpg

FUJ_1931MCsig_zpsninnfmpb.jpg

Small Gymnodoris also crawling around

FUJ_1986MCsig_zpsghsrgsmx.jpg

As well as larger ones

RES_1555MCsig_zps63vvy2ph.jpg

There are also the usual Hypselodoris subjects common to UAE east coast (kanga mating carnae observing lol).

FUJ_1961MCsig_zpsk7wrkos2.jpg

Large 10cm Dendrodoris denisoni gorging on hydroids

FUJ_1951MCsig_zpst14wybrh.jpg

Lots of Caloria indica

FUJ_1883MCsig_zpsrolwm5ro.jpg

and surprisingly Thecacera pacifica

FUJ_1827MCsig_zps6z8qbhnx.jpg

Careful searching produced many Kabeiro rubroreticulata

FUJ_1856MCsig_zpscbr0fypm.jpg

As well as other small stuff

FUJ_1422MCsig_zpsqpwhblho.jpg

RES_1544MCsig_zpsug5tyspb.jpg

FUJ_1673MCsig_zpskzvzvpty.jpg

I think we have something comparable to Anilao on our doorstep :D

We've had a pretty bad year conditions wise in Southern California. I did manage to get some good shots of our regulars.
Halfway%20Reef%20Cuthona%20nana_zpsy5lt3dxb.jpg

Cuthona nana, formerly Cuthona divae

Thordisa%20rubescens_zpscxjvk26o.jpg

Thordisa rubescens

Okenia%20rosacea%202_zpsd6vtwcb5.jpg

Okenia rosacea

Flabellina%20trilineata%20laying%20eggs_zpsojtj3hcp.jpg

Flabellina trilineata laying eggs

Doto%20amyra_zpsv5g5faud.jpg

Nearly microscopic Doto amyra

Polycera%20tricolor_zpsdw8fgihw.jpg

Polycera tricolor

@MaxBottomtime, what setup are you using to get those stunning pictures??

Nikon D3x, 105mm, 60mm with 1.4 teleconverter and Ikelike strobes.
I had a Nikon D700 until I saw Cathy Church selling her D3x camera, Subal housing, strobes and lots of ports and extensions on Ebay. The retail was around $13,000 for everything but she was asking $4400. I was amazed when the auction ended with no bids. She relisted it a month later and I couldn't resist.
I planned to sell my D700 setup to recoup the cost of Cathy's rig but Merry wanted to keep it as a backup to her D700. I eventually sold the strobes, ports, extensions and a few extras making the actual cost at $3,000. Not a bad deal. :)

Not at all.
The sharpness and detail in your images is amazing.

Another fine day in Monterey: Hermissenda opalescens
IMG_2330.jpg
I saw a few individuals climbing things like this, and there were egg masses on a few of those stony tubes (I can't remember what kind of worm-like critter lives in those). But I haven't found any reference to them laying eggs like this. Maybe it was eating something I couldn't see.

Acanthodoris brunnea. I've read that they feed on bryozoans, but I have only seen them on these moonsnail egg collars (although I've only seen this species twice)
IMG_2423.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg

And a Hermissenda meeting an Aeolidia loui (I think, but it looks a little different to the one I posted before). I was half-expecting to witness some nudi-on-nudi violence, but although the Hermissenda made tentacle contact, it just turned away.
IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2562.jpg

Good times just floating and watching nudibranch behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom