Numbness in the leg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
What did the Docs do after making the second diagnosis?

Basically nothing. He said that in time I would get full use of my arm back. I was able to move it before I saw the 2nd Dr but had difficulty controlling it (aiming) . It took about six weeks. He said the risk of surgery was far greater than what it was like at the moment but if I had a repeat to go straight to Emergency.
Feel free to ask any questions you want.

Had another call to DAN. Told me they feel if it was DCS that the symptoms would have subsided by now. So I guess Im hoping for a bulging disc to show up.Never thought Id wish that for Christmas.

mnj1233:
Had another call to DAN. Told me they feel if it was DCS that the symptoms would have subsided by now. So I guess Im hoping for a bulging disc to show up.Never thought Id wish that for Christmas.

A bend at least to a diver. If it is a disc they may be able to do something about it (hope)
Good luck

Hello mnj:

You did not mention the temporal relationships of the leg problem and the dive. Since there was doubt about DCS in your mind, I will guess that there was some time between one and the other. Neurological DCS usually occurs within a few hours of surfacing, generally sooner.

As DAN suggested, the problem did not abate with time. That is not necessarily a sign since many neurological problem are permanent, even with treatment. Permanence would argue against DCS and indicate another organic cause.

Moderate gas loads (i.e., being within the tables) is a good sign and would argue against DCS. [It is, of course, not definitive.]

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello mnj:

You did not mention the temporal relationships of the leg problem and the dive. Since there was doubt about DCS in your mind, I will guess that there was some time between one and the other. Neurological DCS usually occurs within a few hours of surfacing, generally sooner.

As DAN suggested, the problem did not abate with time. That is not necessarily a sign since many neurological problem are permanent, even with treatment. Permanence would argue against DCS and indicate another organic cause.

Moderate gas loads (i.e., being within the tables) is a good sign and would argue against DCS. [It is, of course, not definitive.]

I am beginning to lean agaist DCS after much consultation. The injury was dive related however not neccessarily DCS. I sustained the hip flexor injury pulling off a fin. Hence my dilemma. Are they related? I just want to be sure even though I know my profiles did not violate any stops/ I was however within 1 minute of deco on several dives. Thanks for the response.

Hello mnj:

Being within or outside of the tables, when at the table limit, cannot indicate safe or unsafe nitrogen doses. The limits indicate nitrogen loads generally safe under minimally active conditions for most divers.

If you are considerably over the limits, that is a different story. Conversely, being nowhere near the limit is generally safe.

Dr Deco:
Hello mnj:

Being within or outside of the tables, when at the table limit, cannot indicate safe or unsafe nitrogen doses. The limits indicate nitrogen loads generally safe under minimally active conditions for most divers.

If you are considerably over the limits, that is a different story. Conversely, being nowhere near the limit is generally safe.

I understand that and that is why Ive considered DCS. I am satisfied thus far with DAN's response and am going forward to further explore the causes of my symptoms.
Thanks again.

mnj1233:
Presently experiencing numbness from the kneecap to the ankle on right side of right leg. I originally blamed this on a torn quad muscle which has since healed. I am now wondering if they were seperate issues and I actually took a DCI hit. My profiles did not violate any stops however several dives were to the deco limits and between 100-140 ft. Symptoms began in late Aug. and continue today 11/19. Any advise?????

P.S. No motor nerve problems only sensory numbness.

Well here is what I have NOW...

Back was hurting bad. Went off work. Finally one morning woke up and could stand it again. I had to crawl out of bed the 3 day's before. Now I can stand it.

When I could stand it. My right upper leg on the front was numb. Right above the knee about 1 in and about 4 in below the waist was numb. Just front side. Still that way. Hurts and gets sore while walking. MRI showed 2 medium to major herniated discs. AND a piece of something in my spinal column. So, I see a Neuro surgeon in another week to look at options.

I hadn't dove for 4 weeks. I know it was my back.

So, I'm probably looking at a little chiropractic and rehab. For around 4 weeks. But, I wanted to hear what the neuro surgeon has to say.

Weird thing. I can't trace it to a single incident. It was hurting all week at work and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I don't go to doctors. I even had to find a doctor to go see.. LOL... So, you can imagine how bad it hurt.

My leg is just numb too. I can poke it and feel deep. Just not on the surface.

Mverick:
Well here is what I have NOW...

Back was hurting bad. Went off work. Finally one morning woke up and could stand it again. I had to crawl out of bed the 3 day's before. Now I can stand it.

When I could stand it. My right upper leg on the front was numb. Right above the knee about 1 in and about 4 in below the waist was numb. Just front side. Still that way. Hurts and gets sore while walking. MRI showed 2 medium to major herniated discs. AND a piece of something in my spinal column. So, I see a Neuro surgeon in another week to look at options.

I hadn't dove for 4 weeks. I know it was my back.

So, I'm probably looking at a little chiropractic and rehab. For around 4 weeks. But, I wanted to hear what the neuro surgeon has to say.

Weird thing. I can't trace it to a single incident. It was hurting all week at work and finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I don't go to doctors. I even had to find a doctor to go see.. LOL... So, you can imagine how bad it hurt.

My leg is just numb too. I can poke it and feel deep. Just not on the surface.

Well welcome to the club. Sorry to here about your predicament. Im just so damn stubborn that I didnt think DCS imediately. Being that I am leaning the other way Im somewhat relieved just to have opened the discussion as to its possibility. I did learn one thing and thats that I have to monitor my body before and after my dives more carefully. Know what hurts going into the water. Treat what hurts after as it should be!

Ah, and it's hell admitting we're older than we used to be, too.

Good luck!! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom